Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone has the oil girdle torque n sequence, for an North Star v8, pulled motor for oil pan gasket wanna seal the thin plate above it as well! Any help is appreciated!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,385 Posts
Re: Oil pan girdle torque?

Please post which year/model Northstar you're working on. This post is info on a 1998 - 2005 Northstar.

There are a couple of GM TSBs out on the revised oil pan seal procedures.

Get a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com for that year car/engine. The new TSBs are in there - the GM/Helm hard copy manuals are not updated.

You're supposed to install a new oil distribution plate (integral seals), use the new GM RTV gray method of oil pan rail seal and torque the pan bolts to 89 lb/in (about 7.5 lb/ft) in the following sequence -

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's out a of a 01 Deville, sorry thought I had that in post.

----------

I have a new girdle plate, would anyone have the torque specs for it, I'm just doing this once and don't want to pay for the manual. 89in/lb doesn't seem right for the big 15mm bolts that hold the plate up.

·
Administrator
69,385 Posts

What part/bolts are you talking about ??? Oil pan, oil distribution plate, or Halfcase (lower main bearing halves, bolt girdle) ??

If you are trying to install a different lower crankcase half you cannot do that. The block and lower block are machined as one unit. Pieces don't swap

Halfcase (lower crankcase half) is also sealed with the new GM procedure, and there's a very specific set of instructions on how to reassemble it.

You'll need the service manual - too much to type here - and you'll also need it for the many special procedures needed after you get the crank, rods, bearings, rear seal, distribution plate, etc. properly installed.

The oil distribution plate (new !!!) uses 89 lb/in (about 7.5 lb/ft) of torque.

The lower crankcase (halfcase) bolts (20) get an initial 15 lb/ft of torque, then an additional 65 degrees rotation using a torque angle meter using the sequence in the picture.

This procedure is, as posted, only the tip of the iceberg. Either you use the service manuals and do it right or you wind up with an expensive boat anchor. Dead serious.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts

Five bucks says he's back asking about oil pressure problems.

Any takers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would I have oil pressure problems after replacing the oil pan?

----------

I also have one other question, I have everything back together but on the wire harness that leads to the O2 sensor after the cat, there is a single two pin plug that I can't find a home for, can anyone tell me what it connects to? Checked the surrounding area but not seeing where it goes.

·
Administrator
69,385 Posts
Why would I have oil pressure problems after replacing the oil pan?
If you don't follow the crank pulley install/torque procedure correctly you have no oil pressure. The oil pump drive sleeve depends on crank pulley hub torque friction.

............. if you replaced the oil distribution manifold (lower halfcase seal repair) then you had to remove the crank pulley.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
I'm not sure he was planning on actually re-sealing the half case, but instead just replacing the oil distribution plate which means removing the main bearing girdle bolts which in itself has it's own risks, like breaking one or more of the those bolts and if that happens then the half case has to come off to get at the broken bolt and we all know the surgical cleanliness that is required in this area when re-sealing much less drilling out a broken bolt, especially if it's one of the bolts in the main bearing oil feed passage in the block. Even if he didn't break one of the main bearing bolts, just the thought of releasing the torque on the case half joint could possibly cause the 15 year old seal to start leaking enough to cause oil pressure issues.

·
Registered
2011 dts premium
252 Posts
Looking to see if anyone has the oil girdle torque n sequence, for an North Star v8, pulled motor for oil pan gasket wanna seal the thin plate above it as well! Any help is appreciated!
Going thru same process right now only shop is doing repairs. Cad parts tech recommand new when reinstall oil dist manifold gasket, also use rtv sealant p/n 12378521.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts