Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
1999 Deville base
95 Eldorado, 99 Deville, 05 CTS
166 Posts
Congratulations on your low mileage Eldorado! Dnt worry bout headgaskets. I've got a 95 Eldo with 250k miles on it now. I've had it over 15 years and had so much fun with it. Coast to coast and down to the French Quarter. No major failures and actually uses less oil now, than it ever did. Go figure. I've changed the oil when it said, usually about 6,800m, with Valvoline High Mileage and 2 qts Rislone. I loved blasting onto the interstates out west, where the speed limit is 85. Ran it up to 112 many times, where the fuel cuts off. Have fun with it. It's a fun, easy to drive, safe car. I put new bushings in the front and rear and struts, a long time ago in my yard. Interior is all ragged out now. I'll trade ya!

·
Registered
06' STS-V,13' XTS
27 Posts
I purchased a 96 Eldorado recently with only 25,000 miles on it. It was owned by an elderly couple who passed away sometime back and I purchased it through their son. Besides needing a blower motor and tires, the car is in great shape. When I brought it home, I made sure that I flushed the coolant and replaced it with the dexcool and the GM pellets as required, and changed the oil. I started doing some research recently when I was having trouble with the blower motor, and I came across several articles and forums discussing head gasket issues. What I have read makes me wonder if hanging on to this car is a bad idea, but I like it. I do know, that I don't have the stash of cash to repair it if the head bolts pull. Now is there anything I can do extra besides maintenance to help it's longevity? Are the odds that great that it will fail? Certain mileage when and if it fails? Any advise is greatly appreciated. I do like to drive it a little hard too because it is a fun car.
Bullet proof the engine with a kit from Northstar Performance, it will take all of your worries away, I did it to mine, and I race my STS-V and daily drive it with no issues! And my boost is almost double with all of Timmy C's toys as well as a Snow meth injection kit, my Northstar is nothing to mess with!

·
Registered
CTS V Sport
5 Posts
Have a 3.5 shortstart in an 01 olds aurora. 120k miles. 22/30 mpg on Florida gas. Mine was my dad's car. It only had 60k miles 4 yrs ago, so it had been sitting / lightly used for a while. There was a failed strut. I changed it, the shocks a CV boot and all the fluids. Parts are dirt cheap for this car. Been pretty good since. If I had to put my finger on the weakest part of the car, it would be the transmission. MaxLife and some Seafoam transmission additive seem to work best in it.

Maintain it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
99 ETC
340 Posts
Well..I definitely feel more at ease that I'll get some time out of it. I appreciate the replys guys. Reading through the surveys, it is interesting that 97 to 99 seem to be the poor souls

It just depends on how you maintain it I guess. I'm the 2nd owner of a 99 ETC. I changed the fluids, and did numerous repairs, because the car sat for at least 2 years, it has 93,000 original miles. It had 58,000 miles on it, when I bought it from a elderly man's family, who came down with Alzheimer's and passed away. I haven't had any issues with HG's so far, just the traction control, ABS, system stability lights coming on the DIC, when I take off too fast, or hit a pothole or bump. Haven't really bothered looking into it, because I know I'll get raped, to get it fixed.

·
1999 Deville base
95 Eldorado, 99 Deville, 05 CTS
166 Posts
Sounds like it might just be a bad connection at a wheel speed sensor. Run your codes on the dash n see. You need that ABS, its awesome, esp in the ice n snow.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts