Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone stuffed on of these puppy's in a Fiero or other rear engine hot rod yet?
Years ago my dad put some sort of Buick 6 cylinder in a Fiero.
Every time I look under the hood of my DeVille I think the Northstar would be great in a rear or mid engine sporty car.
Just wondering if any members have allready done such a thing?
I see a Fiero on our Craigs list now with a 500 Caddy engine in it. Heck, there's room in the trunk of my Deville for another N*. Maybe a twin engine setup? Heh..Heh

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Plenty have put them in Fieros. Just not on this forum.

And there was a company in the late '90's that, for $30K, would build you a twin Northstar Eldorado.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Yeah, apparently that is pretty common practice for the Fiero guys for a long long time. It must be a good fit.

·
Registered
Cadillac
69 Posts
Yes, the N*s fit in the Fiero but its not a simple swap. Its not hard but rather time consuming. You have to cut the forward fiero cradle crossmember and
relocate a new one and fab/weld up mounts to get it in the engine bay. You have to cut the stock caddy axels each side if you use the stock 4T80E. The N* will also bolt right up to the stock fiero manual transmissions. Same bell housing pattern. I have three N* Fieros and love these motors.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I never really understood the Fiero craze........................................then or now. :hmm:

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I never really understood the Fiero craze........................................then or now. :hmm:
I liked the last year it was out, wider looking and they had most of the bugs worked out and IIRC v6 was available. I contemplated buying one... Picked up a used Vette instead.

·
Registered
Cadillac
69 Posts
No doubt about it, the Vette is the better car with a long history.

The reason I got into Fieros is because you can get exotic performance, using an economical GM parts line car, in mid-engine form. It doesn't take a lot of money to do it and there are many different GM engines/parts and aftermarket performance parts that facilitate the upgrade in performance netting a lot of fun and enjoyment.

My Fieros have Corvette brakes, Cadillac power plant and Pontiac space frame. GM versatility and a little creativity from owners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AeUpbi0-h4&spfreload=10

There are those that get into them for other enthusiast reasons but that's mine.

·
Registered
2000 DeVille
38 Posts
I am a Fiero nut, too. I owned 5 of them at one time. Now I am down to 3. The first one I bought, an 85, I kept until last year. I modified it with a GT nose, not much else, but kept it up with detailing. Entered it in car shows for a while. The rest were all 88s.

I began SCCA autocross with an 88 Formula, which I later road raced until wrecking it. I had bought a few extra 88 Fieros for spare parts, but ending up bone picking the wreck to rebuild a racer. Not being able to modify the engine due to SCCA rules, I did modify the suspension so that I could out-turn most Corvettes. I commonly pulled over 1 G with stiff springs and Koni racing struts. I still have it, but my racing days are over.

I do have an 88 that I stripped to the space frame, installed a 3800SC in a slightly modified cradle, and put a Ferrari F40 fiberglass body on it.

One last 88 I still own that I reserved in the event I wrecked one of the others I am putting up for sale.

The Pontiac Fiero was the most fun I ever had in a car. It is hard to beat the versatility.

I would love to have done this with a Corvette, but they are very expensive, especially if you want to race them competitively. The Fiero was more in my budget. Around the racing circuit, you will hear someone say "Speed costs money". You have to consider your racing budget when you pick your weapon. I had fun in the class for my budget. You still will end up spending $$$ to make it faster, turn tighter, brake better, etc. Caution: Racing can be addictive.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
The gist of that post ^^^ is the dead-nuts truth. You gotta pay to play. Cheap out (within class) and you're a GM Ricer.

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
A local guy put a Chevy 350 in one, full custom front motor with Hoosier rubber, beautiful build and Insane power. He laughs and will tell you."that's what happens when you got to much free time. Quality from top to bottom inside and out.

·
Administrator
68,404 Posts
heh, heh ..................... Google "ford v8 60 flathead engine". Mid-30's, about 3/5 the size of the later B-Block. We used to make adapters and driveshafts and stuff them (3/4 race) into MG-TDs and other oddball cars. Also, an early Chevy 265 OHV into an AustinHealey. Fun and games.

Notice - the center exhaust ports were siamesed together. Prone to cracking the block at the port area (flathead, right ?)

Attachments

·
Registered
NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7
176 Posts
Another Old Dudes 1957 memory Jack Hoarsley Miami FL. had a MGTD with the then new 430 cubic inch Lincoln with Hilborn mechanical injection for drag strip work. It was very fast in its day.

·
Administrator
68,404 Posts
Yep - A friend did one of the old small aluminum Olds V-8s in a TD also. When we did the V8-60 into my TD we fabbed a bellhousing adapter, cut the driveshaft and narrowed an Austin truck rear - the MG rear never would have held it. Used an original mid-30s 8" Ford clutch and changed to a hydraulic throwout bearing - the MG 4-speed transmission spline was the exact same as the Ford pressure plate. Don't remember, but I think we needed to machine a new pilot bearing for the crank/flywheel.

The MG frame was as whippy as a snake - I'll bet Hoarsley had fun keeping the rear on the ground at all. Those stupid knee-action Girling shocks didn't help, either. Bet you guys have never seen hydraulic shocks where fluid level checks and 6 month fluid changes were normal maintenance ...................

·
Registered
NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7
176 Posts
Sub
We would pump in grease instead of oil and it would make the shocks verrrrrry stiff.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
"The reason I got into Fieros is because you can get exotic performance, using an economical GM parts line car, in mid-engine form. It doesn't take a lot of money to do it and there are many different GM engines/parts and aftermarket performance parts that facilitate the upgrade in performance netting a lot of fun and enjoyment."

Which is why the Fiero was killed off! People at the tech center told me Corvette Group warned the Fiero boys to stay an econo lower end
vehicle. They came up with a V6 that would stomp the current Vette and the battle was on! Heard that from a number of GM sources.
In fighting then killed a promising platform. Safety crash testing was positive on it also. Oh, well! We'll never know what might have
been.

·
Registered
2001 DeVille
9 Posts
Funny you should say that!
i recall that a texan did just that... had a second front wheel drive north star in the rear of his eldorado. Didnt have any sync needed either. Just ran the two togeth with one throttle.

About the year 2000 or so in an auto magazine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts