Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

• Total voters
521 - 528 of 528 Posts

·
2000 Deville base 2019 Corvette Gran Sport
971 Posts
Re: Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread

2000 Deville 118,000 head gasket failure and I fixed it.

However reading some of the posts here how can anybody suggest that Dex cool has anything to do with head gasket failure. I also have a 2013 Corvette that I bought new. I have been on that forum for the last 6 years and I don't recall anybody mentioning head gasket failure (300,000 members) The C6 generation of Corvette ran from 2005 to 2013 and produced 235,000 Corvettes. The current generation 2014 to present must have produced at least 125,000 and they all run on Dex cool

I

·
0 Posts
99 Deville. Head gasket burnt thru #1 cylinder towards front of engine to center of coolant passage. Have pix. Looks like faint dents or scratches from when it was built started this. Gasket stuck to most of bank. Left side seemed ok and gasket not stuck. Only 100k miles. All head bolts tite and cracked loose, but had some aluminum gunk, from hardly at all to a lot more. Got pix of it all.

·
2004 Deville
575 Posts
My 2004 Deville failed at 92,000 miles. If I had been a little more diligent about regular maintenance it may not have happened, but I'm a lazy SOB sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread. Please choose your year of Cadillac and state if you have had a headgasket problem with your Seville or Eldorado and what mileage it occured at. If you have never had a problem please do not participate in the poll!
Head gasket blew at 139,922 miles and I have continuously added a couple different brands of glass seal head gasket repair liquid to the water and managed to drive it to 179000 some odd miles and now a miss in the engine that cant seem to be fixed, Im sure results of the blown gasket, so now it is a driveway ornament that isnt worth fixing and i cant sell it. I dont think another cadillac will join it in the driveway. Such a shame for such a pretty and comfortable car to be such a total loss and uncalled for headache. How long has General Motors been building top of the line cars now? Far too long for this nonsense I think.

Head gasket blew at 139,922 miles and I have continuously added a couple different brands of glass seal head gasket repair liquid to the water and managed to drive it to 179000 some odd miles and now a miss in the engine that cant seem to be fixed, Im sure results of the blown gasket, so now it is a driveway ornament that isnt worth fixing and i cant sell it. I dont think another cadillac will join it in the driveway. Such a shame for such a pretty and comfortable car to be such a total loss and uncalled for headache. How long has General Motors been building top of the line cars now? Far too long for this nonsense I think.
I forgot to say it is a 2000 Eldorado Cadillac Northstar engine , adult driven and cared for its entire life and an absolute joy to own and operate, until its defects showed up. Why do Toyotas and Nissans and almost every other foreign vehicle that is built almost always outlast and outperform the best American made vehicles. Its almost like they aren't supposed to last by design and literally fall apart and become worthless at such a young age? That is a rather sad fact that cannot be denied.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2000 Eldorado ETC - 101,000 seems blown. My symptoms started about 5k miles back. It had 75,000 on it when I got it with no maintenance records.

521 - 528 of 528 Posts