Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace my engine on 2002 cadillac seville because the head gasket is blow. I found and engine but in the description is a vin 9. I checked my vin and the 8 digit is Y, will vin 9 digit fit my cadillac?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,827 Posts
I would like to replace my engine on 2002 cadillac seville because the head gasket is blow. I found and engine but in the description is a vin 9. I checked my vin and the 8 digit is Y, will vin 9 digit fit my cadillac?
========================
the ONLY difference between a VIN-Y and a VIN-9 motor - OF THE SAME YEAR - is the intake cams -

the problem is that the ELECTRONIC TUNING of the two motors is quite different -

-------------------------

the easiest solution would be to replace the two intake cams on the VIN-9 motor
with the cams from your VIN-Y motor -

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
========================
the ONLY difference between a VIN-Y and a VIN-9 motor - OF THE SAME YEAR - is the intake cams -

the problem is that the ELECTRONIC TUNING of the two motors is quite different -

-------------------------

the easiest solution would be to replace the two intake cams on the VIN-9 motor
with the cams from your VIN-Y motor -
....... and that cam work absolutely requires the use of the GM/Cadillac service manuals.

For starters ............

Attachments

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
Fine and dandy - but I'm not gonna tell someone in open forum to swap it in, cross your fingers, and hope something doesn't burn up or break. My attitude is to do it correctly or don't even start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking to get a cadillac devile dts from auto action and swamp everything (engine and transmission) will that work?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,827 Posts
I am thinking to get a cadillac devile dts from auto action and swamp everything (engine and transmission) will that work?
=======================
engine - not that big of a deal - MIGHT work without noticing a thing -

TRANS is an entirely different story -

the FINAL DRIVE RATIOS are quite different -
the VIN-9 trans has a 3.77:1 final drive ratio -
the VIN-Y trans has a 3.11:1 final drive ratio -

:hmm:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - MIGHT be opening a BIG can of worms :can: -

the VSS in the trans reports one speed -
the 4 wheel speed sensors report a completely different speed - :bonkers::shocked2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I replaced the engine in my ‘99 eldorado a few years back, My mechanic accidentally ordered the wrong engine with the wrong VIN number. There were so many issues getting the computer and transmission to cooperate (not to mention emissions inspections) that he just sent it back and got the right one from Jasper and there were no problems from then on. Save yourself the headaches and go for the right engine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts