The Northstar Tuner
Northstar Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor replacement
Thanks AJxtcman,That is the way GM says to do it. Now this is my way.
Raise the car on the hoist
Remove the Front Air Deflector
Remove the bolt retaining the brake line bracket to the front of the cradle
Remove the front engine mount lower bolt.
Remove both of the front cradle bolts.
Un-clip the harness from the oil filter housing
Reach up to and un-clip the reddish connector locks on each connector. I use a hook shaped pick tool.
Un-clip both connectors from the crank sensors and move them to the side.
Use a 1/4 drive 10mm flex socket and a long extension and remove the retaining bolts.
Pull out both sensors.
Slide in the new crank sensors.
Bolt them in place
Reconnect the connectors and install the locks.
Re-clip the harness in place
Reinstall the cradle bolts and the motor mount nut.
Reinstall the brake line retainer bolt
Reinstall the front air deflector
Allow the engine to warm up to operating temp.
Relearn Crank Variance
I found this on a NON GM site, but it looks correct.Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn
Caution: Before performing the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure always set the vehicle parking brake and block the drive wheels in order to prevent personal injury. Release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate in order to eliminate over revving the engine. Once the learn procedure is completed, the control module will return engine control to the operator and the engine will respond to the throttle position.
- Set the parking brake.
- Block the drive wheels.
- Ensure the hood is closed.
- With the scan tool, monitor for DTCs. If a DTC is set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List/Type before proceeding.
- Start the engine and allow engine coolant temperature to reach at least 70°C (158°F).
- Turn OFF the ignition.
- Select and enable the crankshaft position variation learn procedure with the scan tool.
- Start the vehicle.
- Apply and hold the service brake pedal firmly.
- Ensure the transaxle is in park.
- Increase accelerator pedal position until the fuel cutoff is reached at 5150 RPM. Immediately release the accelerator pedal after fuel cutoff is reached.
- The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are learned when the RPM decreases back to idle. If the procedure terminates.
- Observe DTC status for DTC P1336.
- If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 ran and passed, the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P1336 failed or not ran, check for other DTCs. If no DTCs other than P1336 are set, repeat the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure as necessary.