Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 94 eldorado I sometimes get a civic and occasionally a mustang that wants to get embarrassed on the highway. I have had the car to ~150+mph in NC. On my way to bike week I cruised at ~120-130mph for about 30-45 minutes. I never got an overheat warning on smelled anything. It performed great and just as smooth as if I was driving at 60mph. Is it as capable of handling these speeds as it seems? What problems could I be looking at in the future?

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
The gas shut-off on my 98 Eldorado kicks in at 118mph. Isn't there one on the 94 or did you obviously over ride it. I confess ignorance on this subject but would like to know more.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
yours has obd-2 programming aka you have a gov (this is except for the ETC with stock Z rated tire package like mine) his is obd-1 which had no gov

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
I didn't know there wasn't a governor on pre 96 Northstars. What I did know is that OBD I can be hacked, vs OBD II models that are nearly impossible to.

MWA, your Eldo is a base model, which probably came with S rated tires from the factory (usually top speed is 111MPH). For liability reasons, the manufacturer has to limit the speed to the installed equipment capabilities.

ETCs had H rated (hence 130 MPH top speed, computer fuel-cutoff), or optional Z-rated so there is no computer cut-off on those.

Some STSs had W rated tires.

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Many thx CadillacETC1997 and MtFlight. I never have questioned the equipment itself, but good to know the logic behind the restrictions. Everything on this magnificent piece of work has reasoned engineering behind it. I shall certainly double check the current set of Michelin's for the rating.
Appreciate it.....

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Check the door jamb sticker on the driver side door. It should say the tire type, and recommended pressure (30 psi).

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Non Z-rated, pre 96 Eldos still had a governor AFAIK. Seeing how chipmakers advertise removal of the governor.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
150+ mph in an eldorado?!?!
Holy Shit!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
bbeck said:
my sts has a shutoff at 130, is there anyway to change this? how hard would it be?
If its a pre 1996, I believe there's a "chip" that you put in or replace.

If it's a 1996+, the only way is to re-flash the PCM by your friendly Cadillac dealer (good luck there).

If you're in a good relationship with them, and you have Z-rated tires, they may see it fit. Otherwise, they'll likely not want the liability.

·
Registered
82 Posts
how much are these chips then? I haven't looked into a chip in forever... didn't really think they'd be worth what they were going for at the time

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
bbeck said:
how much are these chips then? I haven't looked into a chip in forever... didn't really think they'd be worth what they were going for at the time
I have no clue. Mine's OBD-2. Try a search here on the forum. The topic has been discussed quite a bit.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
there is NO WAY to chip an obd-2. Z rated caddies are red line limited aka they can go as fast as the car can handel in 4th until the needle is burried in the red. Ive had my ETC up to 120 and she showed NO signs of lackin power to go faster. One of these days (with the MPH DIC mod ive done) i hope to take her to her red line and see the max the N* can handel.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
there is NO WAY to chip an obd-2. Z rated caddies are red line limited aka they can go as fast as the car can handel in 4th until the needle is burried in the red. Ive had my ETC up to 120 and she showed NO signs of lackin power to go faster. One of these days (with the MPH DIC mod ive done) i hope to take her to her red line and see the max the N* can handel.
FYI, the PCM can be reflashed by the dealer. Whether they will do it for you or not, depends on your relationship to them and the liability they're willing to take if you get killed above 130. They won't look good in court--well that's the way corporations think nowadays anyway.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
mtflight said:
FYI, the PCM can be reflashed by the dealer. Whether they will do it for you or not, depends on your relationship to them and the liability they're willing to take if you get killed above 130. They won't look good in court--well that's the way corporations think nowadays anyway.
this i know and i didnt say anything against it did i?

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
this i know and i didnt say anything against it did i?
a'ight. The reason it was confusing is that the guy who inquired about the chip had an OBD-1, not 2. But you're right replacing a chip and re-flashing the software are two different things. My bad for assuming that by you saying it cannot be re-chipped, you weren't including the re-flash option.

Mine is H-rated, and I don't plan on getting the restriction lifted; however, I must admit it pains me that some VWs have a 130MPH limit too. :bonkers:

I like the idea of a top speed capability in the exotic sports car category, from a very domesticated, luxo-coupe. The only way to test it for me would be in the track, or in a closed course--without cops or traffic. LOL. A forum member on here said he got it to 154 or so.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
im hopin to get her to a "modest" 160 lol juz cuz then the needle will start to be hard pressed lol

1 - 20 of 58 Posts