Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V, Black Raven
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a used V for quite some time now. I'm located in Canada and there are only about 5 used cars for sale at any given time. I've finally found one near that I've worked the dealer down on. Its a loaded 2010 auto with about 5000 miles, driven by the owner of the dealership, fairly easy miles. I've worked at them to get 20000 off the new sticker plus tax. Do I pull the trigger or is it possible that there will be more sedans coming up for sale this spring with the coupe out now?

I've looked into the import angle but would only end up saving a few thousand without having any idea on the cars history. Also, most dealers around here will push your car to the back of the queue for any warranty issues knowing that you went out of country to save some money.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
971 Posts
Do yourself a big favor. Do a comprehensive search south of the border. Bigger selection. Better deals. Better prices, especially now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the U.S. dollar!
Warranty is warranty regardless of whether the car is bought in Canada or the U.S. A CTS-V imported from the U.S. has to be at least 6 months old and have a minimum of 12000 km on the odometer before the Canadian dealerships are allowed to do warranty work.

Fortunately there are dealerships that don't and won't discriminate ( after the 6 month/ 12000 km stipulation has passed.)

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V, Black Raven
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing that worries me about that is not knowing the cars history. Ordinarily that wouldn't be an issue but I do worry about a 556HP car in the wrong hands.

I have been checking autotrader.com and cars.com for weeks now and also had a broker looking for me. The same mileage and year, after gas guzzler tax, GST(more tax) and a few small border fees seem to be only a couple thousand less. From all the research I've done and forum lurking I see myself keeping this car for a very long time so don't really mind the low differences in price.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the history for many reasons; it will still have the 5 year/100K warranty, these are built very tough, guys with new ones have issues (I bought used, and haven't had a bit of problems), and you'll never know what the driver did anyway w/o checking the black box. If you feel the price is fair, wherever you find it, buy it.

·
Registered
2010 white diamond sedan, 6MT,all options. 641 RWHP/592 RWTQ
354 Posts
20,000 off sticker is a pretty good deal for a demo. I purchsaed a demo that was also driven by the owner of the dealership and only managed 10,000 off sticker and employee price, so about 14,000 in total. If you like the car go for it. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
There are advantages and disadvantages to going either route. In the end, do what you are comfortable with and if you find a car with the equipment/color you want that is right for you, just go for it - whether it's in the U.S. or Canada. You won't regret it.

My experience in finding a used V in Canada was similarly frustrating. That was 1.5 years ago when there were fewer vehicles available and the dealers wouldn't budge from their asking prices. If the dealer is willing to talk to you at $20K off sticker for a 1 year old demo, then I'd say that's pretty good.

As you say, when any price differential between importing and buying locally is amortized over the life of ownership, the amount becomes virtually negligible - especially if there's a only a few grand difference.

Not that it's a big deal, but don't forget that 2010 Canadian Cadillacs include all scheduled maintenance for 4 years. American cars do not. (I believe the 2011 U.S. Cadillacs now have this included.)

Hope this works out for you and you find one soon!

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
971 Posts
The only thing that worries me about that is not knowing the cars history. Ordinarily that wouldn't be an issue but I do worry about a 556HP car in the wrong hands.

There are some Cadillac dealers (U.S.) that have these cars with only a few thousand miles on them that were driven by GM executives and/or have come off of corporate lease making them basically one owner vehicles similar to what you are experiencing if you buy used in Canada.

i.e.--- The EVS dealership in Milwaukee was listing a 2011 coupe ( GM exec. driven) with 7800 miles on it for $62 and change. I'm sure with some negotiating a person could do better.

Best of luck, no matter which way you decide to go.

BTW, where in Canada are you located?

·
Registered
09 V 6M Thunder Gray
264 Posts
Coming from another Canuck (Langley BC), I can relate to the challenge of finding the right car (used). I've been looking for over a month and can't find a 09 or 10 white with every option except auto trans. Seems a loaded white diamond manual is elusive, no matter where I look in the US or in Canada. I may have to break down and pay for a new one! Thank God I have my V1 to keep me amused until I find the right V2!

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V, Black Raven
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If new was in the budget I'd already be driving. Even used I had a little work to convince the wife I 'really needed it'.

·
Registered
09 V 6M Thunder Gray
264 Posts
I always follow the purchase of a new car for the wife with the suggestion it is time for me to also upgrade. Not only does it smooth the whole process but it also creates a win-win. Fortunately for the wallet, she isn't into driving anything as special as the V...then again, the wagon is pretty sexy...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V, Black Raven
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone bought the car without a test drive? From all of the research and reading I can't see myself not loving it, only possible issue would be if the ride was too stiff. I've driven a buddys ISF and I can't see the V being any stiffer that that. It was not a bad ride at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts