Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm a big cadillac fan, and where I'm from seems like honda's rule, so I'm gonna change that. My fav car as a kid was the first gen CTSV. I've had a normal 05 cts for a while now and im on the way to upgrading to the V hopefully 06-07. ONLY THING STOPPPING me is the big question for me.

Is it worth buying a first gen low miles (around 50k) V AND modifying it for a DD and occasional highway pulling car with the differential problems? Let me get more specific, I understand theirs some company that has the whole set for like 3500 but is way unnecessary or financially practical. The MAIN reason for me getting this car primarily is to modify it, not incredibly heavily but a nice cam, tune, kooks headers, ram intake etc. BUT I want to know how much it would cost for a Reliable differential swap? I understand theirs some 8.8 option but like i said im a noob to all of this.

So, I want this car and for this swap Im hoping not to shell out more than $1500 in parts and labor, also hoping if its somewhat not to complicated maybe me and my father can do the labor. Ive heard 4th gen diff's go used for around $700? Regardless I don't want this car If I have to keep replacing the Diff which Absolutely breaks my heart........ :( But im just a 22 year old guy who a cadillac dream haha, Don't get me wrong I've prepared financially but not gonna throw away my life for it.

So in turn, How much would it be for a RELIABLE diff Swap ? Should i find a 4th gen? or the 8.8 (im not familiar with them) How much am i looking at in total? I was hoping to put this money for more MODS :stirpot: I just want my race car cadillac so I can eat these wimpy boosted hondas!!! Help a fellow caddy man out please it will be more appreciated than you know!!!!! Any basic instruction on how to go about this and where to look would be a HUGE help and Id love to keep everyone updated on this, Thanks again in advance!!!!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
First of all, if you find a 2006 or 2007, the oem differential is considered reasonably reliable - it is not likely to break unless you subject it to hard launches/full power shifts with "sticky" tires (e.g. drag radials), or drive it hard during wheel hop. Any of the units can become noisy depending largely on how they were originally broken-in. Secondly, if you find a 2004 of 2005 with 50k miles it may well have a replacement differential (3rd or 4th generation) already.

The oem differential retails for $1,900, but Luke at Lindsay Cadillac Parts (listed on the right side of this forum) can get you one a reduced price. I would avoid used units because you never know what they have been subjected to. The standard shop rate allowance for replacing the differential is 4.2 hours - hourly rates vary by shop and location. It is not all that difficult to do if you have a reasonably complete set of automotive tools (metric is this case).

If you like to push the car hard you will likely want a set of aftermarket axles to eliminate wheel hop, but this investment can be easily postponed if limit hard acceleration to upper gears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts