Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Catera
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weekends ago I replaced my timing belt, tensioner and water pump successfully. Upon startup an expected tapping noise was present and I assume due to the hydraulic lifters filling back up with oil after being emptied during the timing process. The tapping nearly all but vanished except for what sound like one lifter on the right side of the engine (passenger side).

Is it correct to assume that this single lifter failed to refill with oil upon startup due to debris or contamination? or is it at all likely that the internal spring broke? Prior to the timing belt change the engine was nearly silent while idling.

What is my best next step to solve this tapping? Remove the lifters on the right side and clean them? Try using a oil treatment first (which brand)?

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
there is a purge process... it has to deal with slowly accelerating the motor up to 3k rpm and back down.. im not exact on this but do some research, you will find it. You could also try thinner oil or seafoam... something to that nature.

·
Registered
2001 Catera
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just received one new lifter from directpartsconnection.com but the small plunger on the bottom side does not move in and out. It seems to be stuck in the compressed state. Previous posts indicate that there is a spring inside the lifter that should push the plunger out.

Does anyone have experience with these lifters? and should the plunger move freely or should I be returning this lifter to directpartsconnection.com? Thank you.

·
Registered
Catera, ..
231 Posts
The plunger should not compress if full of oil and not leaking down due to a faulty ball check valve (or dirt holding it off the seat). The new one that you recieved is functioning correctly. Sure you can compress it if you put it in a vise and slowly compress it, you will see oil coming out of the fill port. You do realize you have to pull the cams on the side in question to remove the lifters, if you can live with the noise, do it. Trying to isolate the one lifter will be tough, spend a lot of time with a stethoscope to get close, I think it's a tough assignment to pick the right one. If you get lucky the one in question will be collapsed and easy to feel and see at disasembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts