Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 06 XLR for about a month now and I hear these annoying clicks and ticks in front of me from the dash. :cookoo:
They are not quite rattles, but sound like something is not secured as well as it could be for this car. My 05 STS never made a sound from the dash.
Has anyone else had similar problems with rattles on the new XLR?
I would appreciate some feedback from owners of 04's & 05's on how the interior is holding up......Thanks

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
acfromla said:
I have had my 06 XLR for about a month now and I hear these annoying clicks and ticks in front of me from the dash. :cookoo:
They are not quite rattles, but sound like something is not secured as well as it could be for this car. My 05 STS never made a sound from the dash.
Has anyone else had similar problems with rattles on the new XLR?
I would appreciate some feedback from owners of 04's & 05's on how the interior is holding up......Thanks
There's a fix for this problem. They put some kind of foam material up in the dash area above the air vents and it stops the rattle. Although you're saying you hear clicks ( my '06 had 1 rattle, like a screw was sitting on a piece of plastic bouncing around) but I wouldn't be surprised if they could fix it in a few hours.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Under what circumstances do you hear these "clicks and rattles"?
The relays are going to click like crazy when you get in and push the start button. Lots of people don't notice that until after they have been driving for a while. The adrenaline makes your hearing not so good.... then you hear stuff when it wears off. :D

I haven't seen any for "rattles" yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses.
I hear the ticks and clicks while driving and it's definety coming from something like metal to plastic and creaking in the dashboard. I have already distinguished the relay sound, so I know it's not relays.
Any other suggestion would be helpful........Anthony

·
Banned
851 Posts
acfromla said:
Thanks for your responses.
I hear the ticks and clicks while driving and it's definety coming from something like metal to plastic and creaking in the dashboard. I have already distinguished the relay sound, so I know it's not relays.
Any other suggestion would be helpful........Anthony
Hi there,
I have on my XLR a kind of rubbing noise on the both side doors where the windows hit the top. You can only hear it by speed up to 80 kph (50 mph).

It´s not too bad but on a car with this price this shouldn`t be. I hope my dealer can find out what causes the noises.

All together I´m very happy with my Dream-machine.

Harry

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have problems with some noisy rattles and squeaks in the dash and console area. I consulted my dealership and one of the "senior tech" actually drove with me to listen to the noises. and his conclusin was that all those noises were expected.
"because it's a convertible there are more moving parts due to the structure. Also, if there's noise from the center console, it's the aluminium pieces moving against each other that caused that noise. Plastics would be quieter, but that's just cheap" he said. :thepan: .

During the 15 min "test drive" he took in my car, i noticed that he was more like enjoying than examining it. and since he gave some reasonable explanation, i decided not to complain further and try to live with the noises. :helpless:

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
frankzm said:
I also have problems with some noisy rattles and squeaks in the dash and console area. I consulted my dealership and one of the "senior tech" actually drove with me to listen to the noises. and his conclusin was that all those noises were expected.
"because it's a convertible there are more moving parts due to the structure. Also, if there's noise from the center console, it's the aluminium pieces moving against each other that caused that noise. Plastics would be quieter, but that's just cheap" he said. :thepan: .

During the 15 min "test drive" he took in my car, i noticed that he was more like enjoying than examining it. and since he gave some reasonable explanation, i decided not to complain further and try to live with the noises. :helpless:
He's being lazy. My XLR is squeak and rattle free now that the foam pieces were added in the dash area. The dash squeakes are well know and there's a well documented fix for the problem that Cadillac provides to the XLR certified technicians.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vrocks said:
He's being lazy. My XLR is squeak and rattle free now that the foam pieces were added in the dash area. The dash squeakes are well know and there's a well documented fix for the problem that Cadillac provides to the XLR certified technicians.

He is lazy, I totally agree. :)
I actually did some "home treatments" and everything is fine now. :cool2:
but seems like quite a number of XLRs hav the noise problem... :hmm:
but with the top down, engine reved high, plus an open road, ALL IS FORGIVEN! :lildevil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a rattling sound in my XLR dash that sounded like plastic parts rubbing on eash other. I took it in to be fixed and they fixed it. The reason they gace me for the sound problem was that the brackets holding the dash in place were brocken. If you believe that, then I have the Golden Gate bridge to sell you.

·
Banned
851 Posts
GaryXLR said:
I had a rattling sound in my XLR dash that sounded like plastic parts rubbing on eash other. I took it in to be fixed and they fixed it. The reason they gace me for the sound problem was that the brackets holding the dash in place were brocken. If you believe that, then I have the Golden Gate bridge to sell you.
Hi GaryXLR, I just wonder that no one of you got some noises on the side windows where they attached to the top. It`s a kind of rubbing scratching noise when driving slow ( up to 50 mph). The noise is even there when I open the winows about an inch.
My dash and console is noise free!

Harry

·
Registered
316 Posts
frankzm said:
He is lazy, I totally agree. :)
I actually did some "home treatments" and everything is fine now. :cool2:
but seems like quite a number of XLRs hav the noise problem... :hmm:
but with the top down, engine reved high, plus an open road, ALL IS FORGIVEN! :lildevil:
Lazy for sure. Interior rattles drive me crazy as well, and I had them in my new CTS when I picked it up. My selling dealer was the same as yours..."oh, it's normal". They just didn't want to spend the time to fix them. I took it to another caddy dealer, and they spent the time to track them down and fix them.

I owned a 94 and a 99 Corvette made in the same plant in Bowling Green that runs out the XLR, and neither of those had any rattles at all.

I took a tour of that plant, and I was impressed by the attitude of the employees there...they really seemed to care about quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
strindl said:
Lazy for sure. Interior rattles drive me crazy as well, and I had them in my new CTS when I picked it up. My selling dealer was the same as yours..."oh, it's normal". They just didn't want to spend the time to fix them. I took it to another caddy dealer, and they spent the time to track them down and fix them.

I owned a 94 and a 99 Corvette made in the same plant in Bowling Green that runs out the XLR, and neither of those had any rattles at all.

I took a tour of that plant, and I was impressed by the attitude of the employees there...they really seemed to care about quality.
So u've been to the factory? Sounds great. :thumbsup:
GM really needs to keep improving their quality to attract the buyers. With their current financial situation, they can't afford any mistakes. Hope it won't go under...:tisk:

About the rattles, I took the car in for oil change, and mentioned the problem to the service manager. He kept apologizing the entire time for not solving it during my last visit and offered to take another look at the problem. After about half a day I picked up the car and the problem is finally fixed. Finally! No more noise even with the top off! :thumbsup:
I guess you just have to talk to the right person to get problem solved. :thepan:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I had the rattle in the dash. There are composite mounting bracket that keep the dash in place. They may have come loose or are brocken. In other word, your dealer service department will rip your dash out to fix it. Soon your car rental people will be saying "Were you in the other day?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts