Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, my 89 Brougham has had a strong whirring noise for some time, related to the RPM of the engine it seems. I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, it seems to be from all over. It's probably from the transmission, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem on these cars and found a less troublesome solution. When coasting, the car is very quiet, but the instant i step on the gas, i hear the noise.

Somewhat annoying, but I usually have the radio loud enough to drown it out.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville
414 Posts
One possibility could be the alternator. They make a whirring, high-pitched sound when some of the internal components are going out. What you're describing sounds just like my Firebird did last year. I rebuilt the alt and problem went away.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
One of the bearings in my alternator went earlier this year and made the same noise you described. Changed with the engine speeds and sounded like a constant whine...like a supercharger!

I had a local electical shop rebuild my alternator and replace that bearing...cost me $45!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,838 Posts
Well, to figure out if it is the alternator: take the belt off, and go for a quick drive around the block. You should know right away. Don't go far without that belt!

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not much of a whine as much as it is a low pitched whirring. A really heavy noise. I'll try the alternator thing tomorrow, but I don't think that's it. I have another high pitched whir from the AC compressor pulley, but that goes away when the clutch locks up on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts