Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS 2.8 6spd, 04 Mustang Cobra
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have search on the forums for similar explainations for the noise from the dashboard... When i press the accelerator, there is a scratching noise coming from the dash area. It get slightly louder as i press the gas in. It almost sounds like styrofoam is rubbing on something... Has anyone experienced this... I even recorded it for the dealer so they cant tell me they dont hear it. Also, my rear window makes a cracking noise when i hit a bump...

I have a 96 Mustang Cobra as well with full exhuast, lowered and it doesnt make noises like my brand new cadi...

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
I notice it too (with regards to the dashboard sounds), but I am too busy to really give a sh*t. I solve the problem by turning up the radio.

Does anyone have suggestions??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The radio works too, but when im trying to talk on the phone or talk to a passenger it gets really annoying... Bringing it to the dealer next week so they can tell me they cant hear anything.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My dealer couldn't seem to fix all of my dashboard rattles either, but I found a way to quiet things down myself. After the second dealer got through de rattling it...I was left with just a few...that seemed to be coming from the dash above the glove box.

There is an opening near the glovebox latch, that lets you look up inside that side of the dashboard, and it was mainly hollow. I cut some fiberglas insulation into strips narrow enough to let me stuff them up through that hole into the dash. I kept stuffing until the whole area was filled..and the remaining rattles went away.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
strindl said:
My dealer couldn't seem to fix all of my dashboard rattles either, but I found a way to quiet things down myself. After the second dealer got through de rattling it...I was left with just a few...that seemed to be coming from the dash above the glove box.

There is an opening near the glovebox latch, that lets you look up inside that side of the dashboard, and it was mainly hollow. I cut some fiberglas insulation into strips narrow enough to let me stuff them up through that hole into the dash. I kept stuffing until the whole area was filled..and the remaining rattles went away.
Awesome, I did something like that with the rear deck subwoofer. It would rattle and sound like crap when the bass got higher.

·
Registered
98 Posts
RevViNg HiGh said:
I have a 96 Mustang Cobra as well with full exhuast, lowered and it doesnt make noises like my brand new cadi...

Don't worry, it will...and it'll keep gettin worse!! :thepan:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
RevViNg HiGh said:
I have search on the forums for similar explainations for the noise from the dashboard... When i press the accelerator, there is a scratching noise coming from the dash area. It get slightly louder as i press the gas in. It almost sounds like styrofoam is rubbing on something... Has anyone experienced this... I even recorded it for the dealer so they cant tell me they dont hear it. Also, my rear window makes a cracking noise when i hit a bump...

thats insane, i thought i was crazy. i'm hearing the same reeeaally weird rattle from the EXACT spot. it's pretty bad when i hit the accelerator but with normal driving it's slightly negligeable. i do notice it when the bass hit just the right frequency to upset it again. i was going to take a friend and have them drive my car while i tediously investigate the area. if you hear anything in the meantime...LET ME KNOW!!

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
RevViNg HiGh said:
Also, my rear window makes a cracking noise when i hit a bump...
Can't indentify with you regarding the dashboard noise, but the rear window I certainly can. Didn't start happening till the winter, so I assume it's a temperature issue. Once the car is warmed up I don't hear the noise anymore.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
strindl said:
For the sake of future reference for all here, did your dealer's Service Department tell you exactly what they fixed to cease some of the rattles? Also, I would be a bit concerned using fiberglass insulation as the fiber will break lose and circulate in the interior cabin.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
asakas, i never had the dash noise until the cold either...but it's really annoying. hopefully i can find something out and kill it. it;s embarrassing when passengers are there and i know they can hear it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TripleOught said:
asakas, i never had the dash noise until the cold either...but it's really annoying. hopefully i can find something out and kill it. it;s embarrassing when passengers are there and i know they can hear it
Yea, it is quite embarrasing when your brand new cadi sounds like a hyundai interior.

·
Registered
316 Posts
SoCadillac said:
For the sake of future reference for all here, did your dealer's Service Department tell you exactly what they fixed to cease some of the rattles? Also, I would be a bit concerned using fiberglass insulation as the fiber will break lose and circulate in the interior cabin.
One of my rattles was traced to the passenger side dash air vent..it was rattling internally and needed to be replaced. They also found some loose wiring connectors inside the A pillar that runs along the side of the windshield..in this case..on the passenger side. The dealer stuffed insulation in the pillar, and the rattle stopped.

I was not worried about the fiberglass insulation I stuffed up into the dash...the space is closed, and there is really no air circulating in there that would cause any problems.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
strindl said:
One of my rattles was traced to the passenger side dash air vent..it was rattling internally and needed to be replaced. They also found some loose wiring connectors inside the A pillar that runs along the side of the windshield..in this case..on the passenger side. The dealer stuffed insulation in the pillar, and the rattle stopped.
Excellent feedback...thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yesterday i took out the glove box, taped everything i could think that would make this scratching noise im hearing, took the plastic piece off under the driver side of the daskboard...inspected and taped various wires and plastic pieces and taped up the wire harness under the front seats...The noise is gone for now. I drove it around all day yesterday and nothing...I wanted to find it myself. The dealer will never want to hear the noise and track it down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The noise is back and im bringing it in tomorrow. I recorded the noise and will have the Tech. go for a drive with me so he cant say he cant hear it or has selective hearing... This sux.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer heard it, tech. moved an A/c line and sent me home. Noise came back and i flipped out. My CTS is the 7th caddy in 10 years in my family. My mom, sister, and i all have 05 CTS's and my dad has a 04 DTS currently. We have all been back and forth from the dealer with unresolved issues. We are leaving the dealership after 10 years. Found a new Cadi dealer to work with. I dont care if the whole dashboard and firewall insulation has to be removed, the noise must stop. Sounds like a kia interior. Hope it will be fixed within the week.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i hear you on the dealer thing. mine seemed great, but they are veeeeery selective about everything. come to find out, not only does the one a little farther away wash it everytime you bring it in, but my old boss and his famly all take it there with NO problems, ever. what have i got to lose, right?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts