Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS VSPORT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through several posts about clutch noise but just wanted some info on if my car is "normal" or not.
I recently had it in the shop and had both motor mounts and diff bushings replaced.

Now here is the "new" noise I hear:
With the car in neutral, clutch pedal out (not depressed) there is an obvious sound of friction. I have no idea if its the flywheel, the clutch not disengaging properly.. bad clutch etc.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has a similar noise. As soon as I push in the clutch pedal the noise disappears and everything is smooth.

I have had it in to Coulter Motor Co. twice now and they tell me that the noise is normal.

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
I searched through several posts about clutch noise but just wanted some info on if my car is "normal" or not.
I recently had it in the shop and had both motor mounts and diff bushings replaced.

Now here is the "new" noise I hear:
With the car in neutral, clutch pedal out (not depressed) there is an obvious sound of friction. I have no idea if its the flywheel, the clutch not disengaging properly.. bad clutch etc.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has a similar noise. As soon as I push in the clutch pedal the noise disappears and everything is smooth.

I have had it in to Coulter Motor Co. twice now and they tell me that the noise is normal.

Thanks
Eric
what other MODS do you have? SS?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V Infared, 2013ATS, 2016 ATSV
919 Posts
The noise won't be coming from the clutch since it is fully engaged and turning the input shaft. Only possible noise would be from the throwout bearing. If the bearing isn't turning and it is grinding on the clutch forks that would be what you hear. As soon as you put more pressure on the throwout bearing then the bearing part would turn and noise goes away since it wouldn't be grinding on the clutch forks.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
It's probably just gear noise coming through the shifter. Pull the boot and foam and make sure all the bolts are tight.

Or find a local V owner to check it out and tell you if it really is normal.

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
The noise won't be coming from the clutch since it is fully engaged and turning the input shaft. Only possible noise would be from the throwout bearing. If the bearing isn't turning and it is grinding on the clutch forks that would be what you hear. As soon as you put more pressure on the throwout bearing then the bearing part would turn and noise goes away since it wouldn't be grinding on the clutch forks.
Mine is doing the same thing, I think. I took it to the dealer and they said normal. Mine gets better or worse and it doesn't depend on temp or anything. A mechanic friend of mine rode with me and said throwout bearing. Mine makes a bit of noise with the clutch in too. You can feel it in the pedal. What will happen if the dealer doesn't fix it and I keep driving? Taking it in tomorrow to have them look again but please give me other ideas to ask them to check.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
Gears in the tranny usually don't balance unless they are spun up to a higher RPM...most manual transmissions do this...if something IS going out, it will be excessive.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V Infared, 2013ATS, 2016 ATSV
919 Posts
If the bearing seized the noise would be a loud grinding when you try to push in the clutch. I don't think I have ever heard of one seizing. I have seen a throwout bearing come apart so the clutch fluid leaked out. The person thought the transmission was screwed so I got a good deal on the car!

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
is it like a marbling sound coming through the top of the shift knob? I have this issue, I was told its the synchros getting amplified through the shift linkage into the shifter and through the shift knob like a little mini audio system. LOL.

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
No, You can hear it more when I release the clutch on with low rpms from outside the car. With the parking break on you can hear it when loading the clutch and sometimes when sitting in neutral. Almost like marbles. I have a UUC shifter but haven't heard this sound in 20,000 miles. I doubt it could be that.

I did have the dealer bleed the clutch around 3,000 miles ago. Could it be a bad bleed? I don't understand how it gets worse and sometimes you barely hear it.

Thanks agian

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
When it makes this noise the pedal feels grainy and matches the noise.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,008 Posts
Bruce's explanation seems quite plausible.

OP, is your tranny fluid full? 'Cause, when you depress the clutch pedal, the trans gears stop moving. When the pedal is released and out, some of the gears are turning. Changing your trans fluid would be like chicken soup ... it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
'14 CTS VSPORT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, You can hear it more when I release the clutch on with low rpms from outside the car. With the parking break on you can hear it when loading the clutch and sometimes when sitting in neutral. Almost like marbles. I have a UUC shifter but haven't heard this sound in 20,000 miles. I doubt it could be that.

I did have the dealer bleed the clutch around 3,000 miles ago. Could it be a bad bleed? I don't understand how it gets worse and sometimes you barely hear it.

Thanks agian
This is a good description of my issue too. I will check the fluid levels tonight and if it looks good maybe try draining/refill this weekend. Thanks for the feedback.

I will also have to check 814V or Stageup's cars at the next meet.

·
Registered
'14 CTS VSPORT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the kind of stuff I was hoping the dealer would fix before the warranty is up. If the easy fixes (fluid) don't I may take it back and specifically mention the throwout bearing. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
I drained the fluid in the res and replaced with clean stuff. It seems a little better but not gone. I bet it needs a good bleed. I had the dealer bleed it a few thousand miles ago. Someone here poasted the method from the SM and it would need 2 people. I bet it was done with a pressure bleeder and 1 tech. Is there anything to watch if I try this method myself?

·
Registered
'14 CTS VSPORT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found directions for bleeding the fluid... but nothing on draining/refill. The resevoir was full... but the fluid had a brownish color so I would like to just start fresh.

Any good links for draining?

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
I just used the wifes turkey baster and removed what was in the res. not a substitute for a bleed but any new fluid is better than none.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
428 Posts
Eric, derek has a lift. Im sure he would let you use it. Or we could do it at my house. Im in Gilbert, don't know where you are at? Text me if you need help. I got the tools for this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts