Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to address this lately. When I first got my car, I would start it up and it would make like a slight drum-like noise from the dash. I heard that this is normal. But recently, the noise has been real hard like it is pounding to get out or something. What is the noise, and what is wrong with it now? Let me know!!!:annoyed:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Does it sound kinda like a sloshing noise??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not really a sloshing sound. More like someone is tapping the table with their knuckles or something. The hard sound is more like a stack of books hitting the floor.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I bet its a cable in the engine compartment rattling around..... I had one on my car do the same thing, it was the cruise control cable rattling around in there moving all around....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
HollywoodHicks1 said:
No not really a sloshing sound. More like someone is tapping the table with their knuckles or something. The hard sound is more like a stack of books hitting the floor.
Does the noise go away after a while
If it does could be do to temp sensor, had a noise in the dash dealer replace sensor, noise went away

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise only happens as soon as I start up the car though. It is nothing that I hear continuously. It sounds like it is coming from the little defogger vent area.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I was just thinking..... Can you hear it outside the car too???

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well all I know is that it just started making the hard noise when it got cold. I don't know if I can hear it outside the car. But look, I was sitting in the car listening to the radio, then I try to turn the heat on. I turn the key to the on position and turn on the heat. Just like Wes and I discussed, only cold air blew. The cold air blew plentiful until I turned the car on. When I turned it on, no heat, no cold air, no defogger, NO NOTHING!!! Hollywood was quite baffled.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hollywood..... Like we discussed, start a new thread about that AND your trouble codes.....

As far as the noise, it could just be some valve tapping at startup..... Normal....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured that it was normal. I did get what the codes meant from some site the other day and basically they revealed the same stuff that I've been speculating all along. Nothing real expensive from what I was told, so I am gonna start working on it soon.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If you could post the site you found those codes on, it would be great!

·
Registered
2001 DHS, 1996 DeVille, 1993 Deville, 1989 Seville
46 Posts
I think Wes was onto something when he asked if you could hear the noise from the outside, could the noise possibly be your shocks airing up?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
timber6860 said:
I think Wes was onto something when he asked if you could hear the noise from the outside, could the noise possibly be your shocks airing up?
Oooh... Good catch, I kinda forgot that they have the air ride....

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Air ride or level ride keeps the car level when the back end is loaded down with weight. There's a sensor back there somewhere that senses if the back end is lower than normal, and it triggers a compressor under the hood to start filling the air shocks in the rear. The noise might be the compressor, if you even have this system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my 97 sts when i put the defroster on it makes the same type of noise, however mine is coming from the passenger door. I only hear it when i have the defroster on. It is a weird noise kinda like a popping sound. If anyone can help me with this i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i believe my 91 is making this same noise....it seems to come from the dash above the steering wheel....it is very rythematic....like a drum....if i shift from P to D to R back to D....it seems to go away....but sometimes it will come back under heavy acceleration....the noise does not come from the engine compartment....i am sure of that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts