Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing everyone else's comments about wheel hop I must say I'm quite confused. Although I never rev the engine and dump the the clutch, my v does not spin the tries at all under full throttle in first gear, even in competition mode. It also doesn't spin when downshifting to second from third under full throttle. Is this normal? I do admit the car doesn't seem as fast as I expected it to be, my 2001 Cobra would spin all the way into third And weighed nearly as much... with only 320HP.

Any comments?

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
If you can provoke a car to spin the tires downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, then you're doing something wrong...or I don't understand your question.

Second, the F1 supercar tires that come stock on the V are extremely sticky and don't lend to breaking free on throttle application alone. I'm not saying it can't be done....

Last week, I was going under a train overpass that went slightly uphill. I had my 27yr old nephew in the car and I wanted him to hear the car in an echo-type situation on full honk. I was approaching 5K in 1st gear and stomped on it under the overpass....she lit-up the rears like nobody's business...full scream/growl/roar!!!! Keep in mind, I just mounted Kumho ASX(performance all-season tires) so I wasn't surprised that traction was broken.

Needless to say, my nephew has a new respect for the Caddy....
-ace

·
Registered
CTS-V
756 Posts
The traction control could be limiting a lot of the spin as well. Ace is absolutely right about the F1's - very sticky. I'm not sure what mileage you have on yours, but I just past 6.6K and my tires are spinning out under moderate acceleration - replacing soon!

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
My tires are about 60% gone but still some tread.

To test out the GM bushing fix, I did about a half dozen burns from a stop with the traction nanny off. Instead of the normal clutch release at 1100 - 1200 rpm, I gassed up to around 2500. At that point, released the clutch and continued to depress the gas to near the floor. Bang 2nd at 5500 for a real good time.

You'll burn first gear and get a hell of a chirp in second.

T

·
Registered
523 Posts
TAke your car and get it dynoed, This will deff ease your troubles and take any questioning out of the power that is laid down by the car. If the power is much lower than the V's out here (stock then go and complain).
I doubt this is the case but i know my v without traction control will break lose from 1st to 2nd gear redline upshifts and in 3rd gear upshifts also lays down nice rubber.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You want to try turning off both TC and stability control. Instead of pressing the TC button twice for Comp Mode, hold it down for about 6 seconds until the confirmation method pops up on the screen.

I would not recommend doing this all the time, just to do donuts and intense burnouts, pretty much to show off what the V is made of.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments ya'll. I'll get it dynod and try turning off the stability control to see if that shows what she's made of.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
wildwhl said:
One word.

Maggie.
One word! see I knew the influence would pay off...:histeric:

BTW.. most maggie guys are hounding Magnussen for a replacement belt and smaller pulley.. BOTH are too big..!
Between Rick's tune and the new parts, its a Beast!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, with a Stealth tune and a few simple mods, it is tire spin cite in 1st and going into second hard with a chirp into 3rd and that's with a significant power hit as I am at 5300'!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts