Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
Sounds like a bad turn signal flasher.
They are sometimes buried pretty good under the dash in the driver's area.
Should be a metal can type.
If you can find both of them, swap the hazard with the turn signal flasher to check it.
There is one for each.
(hazard and turn)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
If your description is accurate you need to change gears, it sounds like you have a bad socket or two, possibly a bad ground.
That will be harder to find on your own.

Typically when the lighting behavior changes with the parking lights on that means a poor ground. This can be due to a fault in a light socket or at the ground location for the lighting system itself.
Do you know anyone who does good electrical work at a local shop?
Even an independent ought to be able to trace down this bad ground if they have a good electrical tech.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
Start by turning the lights on, then the turn signals, check from side to side and see where a "dim" bulb is compared to the others or the other side.
Then go from there.

If the "hot" wire gets shorted... it usually blows a fuse.
I suspect you have a dirty or faulty ground.
It is doubtful that it is in the dash at all.... sorry I can't point you to it better than that.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
It really sounds to me like bad sockets.

If you have the lights on when you take the tail lights out (be careful the bulbs get hot fast) I'd be willing to bet when you move the sockets around they will start working. Sounds like a classic faulty ground contact inside the sockets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.