Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college kid on a budget and I've mentioned before I recently bought a 98 Deville. I love working on it and slowly learning all about the great machine is really awesome. I was just wondering if anybody knows where I can access tools and parts for low rates I don't want to pay the full mechanic price since I'm more of a DIY kind of guy. Thanks!!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,275 Posts
I'm a college kid on a budget and I've mentioned before I recently bought a 98 Deville. I love working on it and slowly learning all about the great machine is really awesome. I was just wondering if anybody knows where I can access tools and parts for low rates I don't want to pay the full mechanic price since I'm more of a DIY kind of guy. Thanks!!
-----------------
most big auto parts stores have a loan-a-tool program -
usually the tools they loan are the specialty type tools -
not regular wrench and socket sets -

for somewhat inexpensive tools that are fairly descent -
check out Menards -
start off with a metric wrench set and a 3/8 drive metric socket set -

for parts - search on-line - or hit the local "MAN-MALL" as Ranger calls it -

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,275 Posts
Never pass up the opportunity to buy tools. You'll always have them when you need 'em. There's no such thing as too many.

As for parts, try
http://www.rockauto.com
http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/
http://frugalmechanic.com/ (never used this one)
For dealer only parts check with Chris (Rippy) over there >>>>>>>>
--------------------
and don't forget amazon.com

frugalmechanic.com is a search engine - they don't actually sell anything -

autopartstomorrow.com has - unfortunately - changed a lot since the first of the year -
their prices are all quite a bit higher than amazon -
and now they charge for shipping on anything under $75 - too bad - they were good -

I agree - no such thing as TOO MANY TOOLS -

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Plan on buying a basic tool set(good tools) and budget in for tools when ever you have to repair something. I have a butt load of tools that would fill a 1 car garage I have collected over the years. Started with a set and went from there.
Parts you really have to dig to get the best prices, Amazon, Rockauto and Ebay are where i get most parts anymore. But Advance Online always has a discount running and pick up in store available. Some parts are cheaper or as cheap locally when you figure shipping .When I changed WP and couple other things last year I bought from 3 diff places to save $$$. Motor mounts saved me oodles by buying online.(50% savings)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Oh yeah, I meant to add Amazon. Always check them after you get your best price.

Didn't know that about frugal mechanic.

Guess I'll delete autopartstomorrow from my book marks.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Start by buying a big socket set, you can get pretty much everything you could ever need in one shot except for the real oddball stuff and some have the common sizes of wrenches too. Most important is get the factory service manuals.

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
at home I use craftsmen tools but my to go box is full of harberfreight tools there cheep (so I do not worry they when they walk away)and pitsburg has lifetime replacement on them JUST REMEMBER BUY A CRAFTSMEN MAPCO OR SNAPON socket wrench unless you like getting busted knuckles those cheep socket wrenches are only good as paper weights. go to any paw shop or used tool place and get one from 10-20 bucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts