Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with a 2008 with DI and manual transmission. Every once in a while when giving it gas to go from a dead stop I get no response. I can press it in about half way before getting any RPM change and then it slowly catches up and i will have no issues for a while. Ive searched a few times, but couldnt find anything about this. Has anyone else had this issue? Fixes? Im thinking either TPS or pedal is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
CTS
1,882 Posts
Any codes? The intake valve coking will cause similar, but it would be always, not intermittent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No codes. It almost seems like the throttle body isnt even moving but i cant really test it since it happens so randomly.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
213 Posts
With the battery disconnected I would disconnect and re-connect the leads to the throttle body a few times. Do the same to the plugs at the Body Control module and the leads to the throttle position sensor at the pedal. Re-connect the battery and follow the throttle body re-learn procedure as stated in the owner's manual.

Wire connectors in these cars can suffer from corrosion and disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs may scrape the wires clean.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the battery disconnected I would disconnect and re-connect the leads to the throttle body a few times. Do the same to the plugs at the Body Control module and the leads to the throttle position sensor at the pedal. Re-connect the battery and follow the throttle body re-learn procedure as stated in the owner's manual.

Wire connectors in these cars can suffer from corrosion and disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs may scrape the wires clean.
Thanks I’ll give that a shot. I also have electric cleaner here at work I can hit them with too.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual
491 Posts
I would check with a dealer and see if your car has the 10 year extended warranty on the Throttle Position Sensor.
I received a letter from GM stating my 2011 is covered for TPS malfunction for 10 years. The only reference I have is Product Field Action 14582
The dealer should be able to look up your vin number and find out.

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,502 Posts
You can also verify any extended warranty coverage by signing up at Cadillac Owners Center. I'm still covered for the TB and timing chain.

Reactions: silversport

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would check with a dealer and see if your car has the 10 year extended warranty on the Throttle Position Sensor.
I received a letter from GM stating my 2011 is covered for TPS malfunction for 10 years. The only reference I have is Product Field Action 14582
The dealer should be able to look up your vin number and find out.
You can also verify any extended warranty coverage by signing up at Cadillac Owners Center. I'm still covered for the TB and timing chain.
Thanks for the heads up with those. I just checked and it seems all extended warranties were up towards the end of 2017.

I cleaned the connectors mentioned and will see how that does.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update, cleaning the connectors didn’t help. It went a few days, but has happened again this morning.

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,502 Posts
Have you tried the TPS relearn procedure as described in the owners manual? It probably won't help but it's free and easy and therefore worth a try.

After a power loss, such as disconnecting the battery or
removing the maxi fuses in the power distribution fuse
block, the following steps must be performed to calibrate
the electronic throttle control. If this is not done, the
engine will not run properly.

1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN. Do not start the
engine.
2. Leave the ignition in ON/RUN for at least
three minutes so that the electronic throttle
control will cycle and re-learn its home position.
3. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
4. Start and run the engine for at least 30 seconds.

You can also test your TPS as shown in this video

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,502 Posts
Excellent idea. I suppose you could also test the pedal sensor too by watching the commanded angle while cycling the throttle pedal through it's range (ign on, eng off).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the throttle relearn after cleaning the connectors. I’m glad you posted the video though as I was trying to find a way to test the TPS.

Also I just downloaded OBD Fusion and will check the throttle positions with that as well.

I’m hoping is the throttle body so I have an excuse to order a new one and send it out to be ported LOL

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,502 Posts
Way to find a silver lining! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Managaed to get a log of a few accelerator and throttle positions. Looks like its the pedal not sending or the module not getting a signal to me.

The areas circled on the 2 accelerator lines I was pressing the throttle for a normal take off and got nothing. Finally I gave it some more and thats where you see the spike.

Also maybe someone with better understanding of the redundancy in these know, should the sensor D and E be reading similarly? I’m just getting into the electrical side of things so some stuff still gets me.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,381 Posts
Looks like the pedal is bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's it. You HAVE to get the shiny set now, Knobbz. It's a sign.
Well I had it happen a few more times since this so I went ahead and ordered those pedals. What the hell right? I will update when they come in and let you all know if they fit and if that cures my issue. If not then its an excuse to throw a ported TB at it

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,102 Posts
Torque Pro can monitor both the accelerator request and the actual throttle position.
Uuuh...post #15.
Looks like OBD Fusion is being used.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts