Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
05 sts
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new battery and the car wont start, not even the accesory lamps will turn on. I replaced the terminals and everything.The radio turns on but none of the interior lights... can someone help me

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
7 Posts
You're not giving us much info on your car at all. Engine? Miles? Trim Level?

Why did you replace the battery? Did the old one fail a test under load?

SWAG - Clean & tighten both ends of both battery cables.

·
Registered
05 sts
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 05 v6 base model sts. When i first bought the new battery I had to play with the terminals in order for it to fire up or the accesory light to come on but the radio always worked. First i thought it was the terminals so i went on and replaced them but now I stil have the same starting problem. The car was sitting for 4 months because i was out of the country, upon my return i relaplaced the battery becasue the old one was not holding charge. When i finally got it to start an thought it was fixed i took it for a spin and it drove fine, but an hour later i tried to start again and it wont.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,016 Posts
So you replaced the 'terminals' and cleaned them ... which is it?
What terminals did you replace? do you mean you put new connectors on the battery cables?

What battery did you replace it with?
Are you sure the replacement is good?
If you disconnect the battery from the car and fully charge the battery overnight with a 'trickle charger' (low amp charge like 1 or 2 amps) then disconnect the charger from the battery and let it sit for about an hour then use a volt meter to determine the voltage of the battery to determine if it is holding a charge properly. I believe you should get a 12.6v reading on a good battery. Once you obtain that reading then connect the car with the negative cable first, then the positive cable and see how the car behaves.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
Check the main power cable all the way to the under hood fuse box. Where it enters the box (open the lid) you will see where it attaches to the main buss. Make sure that bolt is tight. It is a known loose point. It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere or the radio would not work at all. Low current devices are working it appears, but not enough to carry a load.

·
Registered
05 sts
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tthe dash lights up but dosent start the car, also there is no interior lights on in the car and the battery is fully charged. After disconecting and reconnecting the terminals a few times I can get it to start but after it sits am back to square one.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,016 Posts
Does the starter attempt to turn the engine?
If not I'd probably guess that you may have a starter issue.
Have you confirmed the cables are tight at the relay center as was mentioned before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has the battery been load tested? (Not the free test at most parts stores or the charge check suggestion above.) Unfortunately, free services are generally worth little more than their cost.

·
Registered
05 sts
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes All cables are tight, like I said sometimes it starts when I take off one of the terminals and put it back on. And I did a test on the battery also and it's good.

----------

It's kids strange that my interior lights are not coming on but yet the car starts at times

·
Registered
7 Posts
The interior lights issue could be related to a door sensor or something interfering with the signal to the ECM. I believe the pre-start system check sequence is quite extensive. Obviously, your battery disconnect resets whatever fault(s) prevent your car from starting.

Has any Cadillac dealer diagnosed this?

If not, that's going to cost less than just replacing parts. If so, and you mistrust them, choose another. Almost all GM dealers will be happy to work on our cars, but they are not just like any other GM car. A master Cadillac tech is worth every penny, even at the higher rates that include the 'Cadillac Tax'!

Here's an example; I live about the same drive time from the multiple-marque GM dealer where we bought both our STS's and a dedicated Cadillac dealer. Naturally, any IOU's from the purchase were fulfilled by the former. On the other hand, I used the latter for most of my (mostly CPO) warranty work. Both do good work, but I liked the almost new Enterprise Cadillac loaners, carwashes, perks, etc.

Now, we haven't needed anything but normal service in a long time. I use trusted local mechanics for general stuff. I'm becoming convinced that once a new owner gets these cars sorted-out, they're as reliable as any other and maybe more than most, considering all the toys. But we do care for our cars; albeit with a heavy right foot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts