Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the fourm, my husband and I have an 03 CTS. We have need having intermittent starting problems, we read on here, that it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. We replaced it today, and now it will not start at all. The fuel pump is working, but there is not fuel on the fuel rail. We are really not waiting to tow it and get it fixed by someone else..we like doing our own work. Oh yea, before we replaced the sensor we didn't have a code for the sensor, now we do and it won't start. Any help if very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
629 Posts
By not starting what do you mean exactly? Will it crank? Or not even turn over? If the fuel rail is empty check the fuel pump. When you turn the ignition on without starting the vehicle you should hear the fuel pump turn on and prime the system. If you don't hear it prime, check your fuses and relays, if those check out okay you know your fuel pump is bad and needs replacing. Now if it does not turn over at all, you need to check the starter relay. If that good turn the ignition on and jump the relays on the starter itself. If it starts you have and ignition problem, if it does not turn over your starter would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
03 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will turn over, but that is it. We hear the pump and the relay, when we have key on engine off.

·
Registered
629 Posts
osbornects said:
It will turn over, but that is it. We hear the pump and the relay, when we have key on engine off.
how about your fuel filter? I'd check that unless you know it's been replaced.

·
Registered
03 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how about your fuel filter? I'd check that unless you know it's been replaced.
That will be something to try. Right now, I am curious why the car is throwing a code for the crankshaft sensor now. It would start most of the time before with no CEL, now we replaced the sensor and the light is on and the car will not start at all now. Did we buy a bad sensor or was that not the problem, but now it is?

·
Registered
629 Posts
osbornects said:
That will be something to try. Right now, I am curious why the car is throwing a code for the crankshaft sensor now. It would start most of the time before with no CEL, now we replaced the sensor and the light is on and the car will not start at all now. Did we buy a bad sensor or was that not the problem, but now it is?
It's worth a shot to replace the cps. It doesn't directly control fuel delivery per say, but if it does not communicate to the ecu. The ecu may cut the fuel as a fail safe.

·
Registered
03 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the help. I've been running around all day since we figured it out. Turns out they sold us a bad sensor. Now we are an expert on doing the crankshaft sensor, we can do it in about 15 minutes. Good thing we check the resistance on it before doing much more. Once again thank you for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts