Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been doing a lot of searching around and it seems like other people have had this problem but no one seems to have the solution. I have two brand new batteries for the car on is 101 series and then I went out and bought a 78N that had a much higher CCA rating. The car will make a clicking sound when I turn it to start. If I hook a battery charger up to the battery it will start that way or if I remove the starter relay and jump it with a paperclip it starts. I have tried resetting the ECM, I have no check engine lights on in the car either and the security light is not flashing. I don't know where to go from here...

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
I know your frustration... I too have a 03 and have had every starting issue. This is what I have done and what fixed what.
1- car won't start and clock goes crazy turning backwards= new battery and starts fine again for a few weeks.
2- car turns over but takes 2 to 5 trys to start = new CPS and all is fine for a few weeks.
3 - car won't turn over, just keeps clicking = new starter and all is good fir a few weeks.
4 - same as #1 , the new battery had a bad cell= replaced battery all is good for a few weeks
5- turn key to start position and there is nothing..no click and all dash lights go out, gas gauge drops to empty= new ECM and car starts fine for a few HOURS!!
6- best for last. Turn key to start position and again nothing, dashlights go out and gas gauge drops to empty. Thought it must be ignition switch itself. This is what I did. At the base of steering column found wire harness conection.(had to remove lower dash cover) I turned the key to the on position and used a small piece of wire to jump from the pink wire (auxiliary power) to the yellow wire (starter) and the car fired right up. So I went to Canadian tire and bought a contact push button switch and installed in the dash beside the temperature sensor. Now I put the key in , turn to ON position and push the button and it starts every time. And has now for months with no problems. I know it was a long read but I hope one of these issues I had can help you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts