Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:want: So I have 2005 CTS and some of you may have read my blog from before about dash lights flickering, radio cutting out, and my favorite problem....the car will not start after putting a full tank of gas in it. The dealership on the second time it was in there for that problem, changed out the gas tank, the fuel pump and the valve between those two. (I apologize can't remember the technical term for it.) ANYWAYS, I have had the car back for 16 days, and did not drive it for 7 of those, and had to get gas, and WAH-LA car is getting towed to the dealership, but once it gets there it starts fine for them. (Imagine that) I tried starting it for almost a half an hour each time before having it towed. Has anyone experienced any problems like this or know what may be causing this oh so fun problem??

·
Registered
03 CTS 5sp manual, 07 STS
194 Posts
In as much as you've had the entire fuel system replaced we know that's not the problem. Has the dealer run diagnostic codes? Some other component may be dying and filling up the tank prior to a no start is a coincidence. My thinking is that the problem is temperature related. The theroy goes something like this: you start the car, the component inquestion heats up and fails. when you try to restart,no go. when you get to the dealer the component has cooled off and Viola! the car starts. Here's an idea. Get a code scanner from your local auto parts store. They run about $60 - $100. the next time you get a no start, make three attempts to start the car then plug in the scanner and see if you get a trouble code. I had my crankshaft position sensor die and it took three start attenpts before a trouble code would set. Once the car cooled and I was able to start it the code cleared.

The goal is to get a trouble code you can take to the dealer rather than continuing to replace non defective parts. believe me having a scanner with you when something goes wrong is worth it.

Wait a minute! I just remembered. Instead of or in addition to a code scanner Try calling Onstar. They're supposed to be able to run diagnostics. Can't hurt

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
:want: So I have 2005 CTS and some of you may have read my blog from before about dash lights flickering, radio cutting out, and my favorite problem....the car will not start after putting a full tank of gas in it. The dealership on the second time it was in there for that problem, changed out the gas tank, the fuel pump and the valve between those two. (I apologize can't remember the technical term for it.) ANYWAYS, I have had the car back for 16 days, and did not drive it for 7 of those, and had to get gas, and WAH-LA car is getting towed to the dealership, but once it gets there it starts fine for them. (Imagine that) I tried starting it for almost a half an hour each time before having it towed. Has anyone experienced any problems like this or know what may be causing this oh so fun problem??
Interesting... Someone else was talking about this before, having to do with gas and then the car not starting. Or starting and then shutting off immediately. I cant find the post tho. This person also said that their dealer told them it was isolated to '07 cars. Something electrical and GM was working on a fix and in the mean time he was keeping the gas tank at 1/4 full.

I will continue to try and find the post.

On a side note my '87 Grand Prix also did this sometimes on hot days. It was due to a bad wire under the dash. I had to wiggle it around and start the car sometimes. It was a rare occurrence but did happen. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
Interesting... Someone else was talking about this before, having to do with gas and then the car not starting. Or starting and then shutting off immediately. I cant find the post tho. This person also said that their dealer told them it was isolated to '07 cars. Something electrical and GM was working on a fix and in the mean time he was keeping the gas tank at 1/4 full.

I will continue to try and find the post.

On a side note my '87 Grand Prix also did this sometimes on hot days. It was due to a bad wire under the dash. I had to wiggle it around and start the car sometimes. It was a rare occurrence but did happen. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:
I talked about it kinda but mine always started fine. Just my fuel gauge would go bonkers.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
have u been going to the same gas station each time this has happened?

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
There was a recall on 2005 Model where the car would not start even though there was gas in the tank. The problem was with ECM anomaly (05524 - REPROGRAM ECM) in where once the fuel gauge reached a certain level, car would not start.

I never had the problem but got a letter to bring my car in ASAP and git r done.

Seems like the dealer would know this though? I got that letter within a week of buying my car in May 2005. If you bought yours used, maybe the ECM was never reprogrammed to correct it? Still, think the dealer would know this but you just never know with some.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
hello mrssmith i am a service manager at a cadillac dealership and we have had a05 cts with the same problem, a no start condition after refueling, the only way the car would crank is to press the accel while cranking. what we found was the purge solenoid was stuck open allowing fuel to seep in tp the eng while fueling, this was flooding the eng on restarts. we replaced the purge solenoid and fixed the problem. i hope this might help you also.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
hello mrssmith i am a service manager at a cadillac dealership and we have had a05 cts with the same problem, a no start condition after refueling, the only way the car would crank is to press the accel while cranking. what we found was the purge solenoid was stuck open allowing fuel to seep in tp the eng while fueling, this was flooding the eng on restarts. we replaced the purge solenoid and fixed the problem. i hope this might help you also.
I'll bet this wins you a cigar. It makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Thanks for your help and :welcome5: to the forum!

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts
Evaporator Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve

Ok I have a problem with my car running lean on fuel and everytime I refuel the car be hard to restart an I get p0496 code. Ok I bought the Evaporator Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve and I know its in the gas tank but I wanted to kno if anyone has a guide or easy instructions or even the location so I could try changing it myself. I have 03 cadillac cts v6 3.2L

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Re: Evaporator Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve

long time no see smileydawg

read a few threads on this first page and you will find your answers...this is becoming a known issue lately

·
Registered
2004 EXT
305 Posts

I am having this exact problem too! I was told its the EVAP purge Solenoid that is leaking. What you have to do it order the part online for like 21.00 USD shipped and replace it. I am at the stage where i ordered my part so i will let you know how to install once i receive it!

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts

Ditto on the long time no see. Welcome back.

Just to let you know, this will be one of the easiest jobs on this car. Because the device is right on top of the engine on the passenger side. That is if we're talking about the same device. It's the one that ticks after a few minutes of the engine running.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts

Hey guys yea it is a very long time no see an I hope you all are fine, but I was told that the part is in the gas tank I hope it really is a easy fix. I will try take a pic of the part to show you an even if that is the right part I but I attach the photos of the part I got an you can give sugggestions but I heard its on top of the gas tank an for the gas tank to be lowered thats alot of work an cash something I I am tryin avoid lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts

I think it's called EVAP purge solenoid, EVAP is short for something like Emission Vent.... There is a vent canister behind the gas tank and I think this part goes in there. The problem is that you have to remove the rear frame ( not the rear license frame, LOL, the whole rear frame ) to get to the canister. If anyone comes up with an easy way to replace it, let us know.

·
Registered
Cadillac Cts
189 Posts

Hey sammyz well in the next thread ewill said we purchased the wrong solenoid so hopefully we can get rid of this problem.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts