Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Deville, 1995 Deville
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my engine all put back together to where it should be running. It will not start. after pulling the #1 wire and using a spark tester, there is no spark (or my brand new tester is bad). I'm using 8mm accel wires, a summit racing cap and rotor and i'm using my old coil (have to save every penny I can right now). The coil checks out fine, its within the usual ohms when I checked. the rotor is turning. i haven't tested any of the other wires yet to see if they are getting a spark. The vehicle has very good ground (1/0 guage to the block and 4 guage to the chassis, yes I know its overkill).

Now I'm kind of forced to get this vehicle running asap. The transmission in my jaguar xj (daily) just died. sucks. car has only 60,450 miles on it and no one wants to touch it but the dealer. plus I'm mega upsidedown on the loan.

·
Registered
93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado
778 Posts
Make sure the distributer is getting power. There is a plug that goes to the distributer but the tabs can break off.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the distributer is getting power. There is a plug that goes to the distributer but the tabs can break off.
everything is plugged in.

I'm guessing its the control module or the coil. any easy ways to tell? autozone said bring in the distributor to check the module. I was told by a friend that the machines they use kinda suck and theres a lot of them that check out fine that are defective. Any way I can test them myself?

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,255 Posts
everything is plugged in.

I'm guessing its the control module or the coil. any easy ways to tell? autozone said bring in the distributor to check the module. I was told by a friend that the machines they use kinda suck and theres a lot of them that check out fine that are defective. Any way I can test them myself?
YOu do not have to take whole thing (the distributor) to check out the ignition control module. Take only the latter off and check. A local Advance had really cool equipment to test my module. Itwa sfound deffective. New one solved the problem.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
The module would be my #1 suspect. They seem to go bad in lots of cars, sort of like in-tank fuel pumps!! The module went bad in my wifes Caddy, and my Chev pickup etc. Surely not unusual.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I decided to take the module in to advance auto parts, I tested it as described in my haynes manual. With the key turned in the on position, it was not getting any voltage. So i checked for voltage at the 5 wire harness (has 6 prongs, but only 5 wires on each side). there was no voltage. So the distributor is not getting any power. I checked all of the fuses, both in the car and the ones on the firewall and nothing was blown. Now what confuses me is that in the wiring diagram it shows the 5 wires on the harness coming out of the pcm. but it also shows a pink wire going to the distributor from the ignition switch. Where is this pink wire and where does it go on the distributor? Any help would be very very appreciated.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Encountering wire colors that aren't on the schematic isn't all that unusual.
If you are using an auto store manual, the diagrams are "typical" and not specific. A factory manual ( worth big bucks when you need it) would show the right colors and help you sort it out. One of the wires in that connector has to be a power lead for the distributor. I'm not up on security systems, but maybe that power is disabled (??) Maybe some of the other folks here would know. Just an idea.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
On my '87 DeVille the Pink wire(#3) is off the RUN on the Ignition switch. 12v power to the distributor. It is in the harness from the instrument panel.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I just looked up the diagram in my manual for my '85, and there is a pink wire shown. The other three are; red/black, white, and tan/black (stripe)
If you wiring near the connector isn't really clean, a little laquer thinner on a rag to clean them will show the colors very good. That's in case you may not see the actual color you are looking for. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can tell what wires are in the harness and what they are for. none of them are the ignition switch wire. sunday i will compare mine to my grandfather's 95. hopefully i can figure it out.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
different harness....but you will figure it out. I have supreme confidence in your ability. You have done nice work on your car. Please get a Cadillac FSM and burn the Haynes....

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I can't tell from reading this thread if 12 volts has been verified at the main hot wire that plugs into the cap. If so, it sure sounds like a dead module to me. Sometimes I use my timing lite to check for spark if I don't have an assistant. It has pretty long cables so I can hold it and turn the key. Good luck getting the sweet lookin' engine running.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the help guys. i dont have 12v at the module. i dont have it at the wires that give it power either.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
That "hot" pink wire is the RUN position wire from the ign switch.It splices under the dash before it goes out to the distributor to also run your TwiSent/Daytime running lights and your turn signals and your hazard flasher. Are any of those lights working now? If not then back track to the Mommy of Hot Pink, BIG RED, which controls the RAP relays. Do you have RAP? If not, then check your MAXI Fuse #2 on the RH underhood fuse block (that's the one on the Left when you are looking at them) and Maxi fuse #7 in the other one. both are 60 AMP and control your Ignition feeds. Somewhere on that path is 12V. unless you have an open ground somewhere. You DID check all the GND points, right?j one more silly question so I am not ASSuming anything, but are you checking the wiring with a VOM? I already am presuming the engine cranks since you were able to check for spark.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the maxifuses are ok. my signals work. i do not have a pink wire on the distributor though. should i? and where is it?

·
Registered
759 Posts
It might be pretty dirty by now, it's the + primary where it plugs in to the Dist cap.. It also goes to the Control module and the Cam sensor, Check fuse #1 on the IP fuse box if the wire is plugged in. IDK, maybe you didn't ever plug it back in, maybe??

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
When working in the engine compartment it's really easy to disturb things that will come back to haunt you later. You may want to do a good visual inspection of all the wiring, connectors etc. (been there!)

BILL

·
Registered
759 Posts
"and burn the Haynes":thumbsup:
Chilton's is worse! If one really wants to repair the car the FSM is the only way to fly, even tho it's like reading chinese at first, since it is written by genius engineers, but with time it becomes quite easy to use.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tested my grandfathers, and its wierd. I didn't get any power there either with the key in the on position. maybe that's not the problem? Maybe its just an ignition module... it passed the test at advance auto parts, but that isnt 100%

1 - 20 of 56 Posts