Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
ats
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 coupe which i am thinking of getting a modern spare, I replaced the runflats, and now should have a spare, theres room in the trunk, They say the spare will clear the brenbo brakes on the front, does anyonev want the comment or that.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
793 Posts
To which spare are you referring? There are aftermarket spare tire kits you can buy with the wheel, jack, & tools, but you would need to make sure the donut will fit around the Brembo's.

When I replaced my runflats I got a full size wheel from a Volt for free, so I keep that in the trunk along with some tools.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Coupe Premium
3 Posts
For my 2015 Coupe 2.0T Premium, I purchased the item below with a basket that fits inside the rim, which holds the jack and lug wrench for 80.00 delivered. 17" rim and it clears the Brembos. Expect to have less cargo room.

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
229 Posts
what are some of you carrying in your trunk for a flat ?
Prayer, generally.

My GXP also came without a spare, but the previous owner put one in anyway, I guess because it fit in the space. Where it didn't fit was over the GXP rotors and brakes. Sold it on CL for $20.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
894 Posts
I have an air compressor that I bought (absolutely love this thing, it's so much faster and quieter than the cheap $20 Wal-Mart one it replaced) and that's kind of it. The two flats I've gotten were sidewall blowouts on my winter tires, so the can of Slime I used to keep in there did nothing. My company pays for AAA Plus, so I just have them flatbed it home and I throw on an off-season wheel until I get the tire replaced (which was reimbursed by the state both times because they cover damage caused by state roads). What I should do is buy a spare kit. I posted about one in another thread here. You get a space-saver 17" wheel and tire (so that it clears the Brembos), a scissor jack, a tire iron, and a carry bag for everything. If I remember correctly it all cost over $300 which, if I didn't have company paid AAA, I definitely would have bought by now.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,911 Posts
Unlike many on here, I like ZP tires. At least with the MSRC system the ride and handling are fine and I wouldn't consider anything other than ZP tires on my Corvette Z06.

But for winter I have 17" wheels with regular tires on them and I have a "Slime" kit in the trunk which comes with a plug kit, compressor, and slime to handle most situations. As Sergio noted, this won't do anything for severe tire damage.

I will be placing an order for a CT-4V shortly and I am ordering it with ZP all-season tires and won't be dealing with switching wheel/tires sets on it like I do my ATS. In the last three years, two acquaintances were hit while changing a tire on the side of the road which was very sad but not surprising given the number of distracted drivers who have hit law enforcement vehicles on the side of the road even though they are well marked by brightly flashing light bars. With the number of distracted texting idiots on the road now, I have no desire to be stopped anywhere near a traffic lane changing a tire.

High quality ZP tires are nothing like the original near solid sidewall runflats of the early years and I am happy to run them. The Michelin PSS tires on my Corvette Z06 are incredible tires and since they are nearly 5 years old, I will be putting a new set on this spring. Given the weight rating, my 2500HD pickup is running "regular" load range E tires and it comes with a full size spare and if it gets a flat I will take advantage of its high ground clearance and drive it well off the side of the interstate if I have to change one of its tires.

Rodger

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
229 Posts
I have an air compressor that I bought (absolutely love this thing, it's so much faster and quieter than the cheap $20 Wal-Mart one it replaced) and that's kind of it. The two flats I've gotten were sidewall blowouts on my winter tires, so the can of Slime I used to keep in there did nothing. My company pays for AAA Plus, so I just have them flatbed it home and I throw on an off-season wheel until I get the tire replaced (which was reimbursed by the state both times because they cover damage caused by state roads). What I should do is buy a spare kit. I posted about one in another thread here. You get a space-saver 17" wheel and tire (so that it clears the Brembos), a scissor jack, a tire iron, and a carry bag for everything. If I remember correctly it all cost over $300 which, if I didn't have company paid AAA, I definitely would have bought by now.
Which is great, if you don't mind pretending you're driving a 71 Firebird, where having a spare up in the trunk costs you 2/3 of the trunk. My trunk is small enough to begin with. When my mom died, I filled it and the back seat with the little bit of stuff I brought home. I'm not wiping it out for fear of a flat, of which I've literally had one in the past 35 years.

·
Registered
2003 DHS with night vision, 2004 Escalade, 2014 ATS 2.5
8 Posts
Yeah, carrying factory air compressor in trunk. Call road side assistance if I have a flat. Paid through my insurance.
Works for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 ATS Coupe 2.0T Luxury, formerly 2011 CTS Coupe Performance
141 Posts
I'm not sure I have ever had a flat on the road. I usually pick up a nail or something and get what starts as a slow leak and eventually I either discover the nail and get it fixed at Discount, or come out to a flat in the morning or at the office, air it up, and get it fixed at Discount.

I was pondering what I would do with my 17 bought used when I had to replace the runflats. And then I discovered that one of my tires is not a runflat.

What compressor did you buy @Sergio526?

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
894 Posts
What compressor did you buy @Sergio526?
It's the Tacklife M1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WG7B5RX/
You set your target PSI and you hit the switch and it shuts off when it gets just past the target (since some air will escape when you unscrew the nozzle). It's also nice that it remembers the last set PSI, so if you always fill to 35 PSI on all tires (for example), you'll never have to change that adjustment. In that under trunk compartment it's juuuuuuuuust a little too think and pops the cover up just the tiniest bit. It also has a nice carry pouch. My old travel compressor was so loud it almost felt like I needed hearing protection. It's also pretty fast. From 32 to 35 PSI it's maybe 10 seconds. My old one was probably like a minute.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
337 Posts
You set your target PSI and you hit the switch and it shuts off when it gets just past the target (since some air will escape when you unscrew the nozzle). It's also nice that it remembers the last set PSI, so if you always fill to 35 PSI on all tires (for example), you'll never have to change that adjustment.
Looks like a good compressor. How accurate is the gage? I have a Vair with a dial type and it is off by a few pounds. So when I air up my tires, I put car in service mode and monitor the tire pressure page.

·
Registered
2018 ATS Sedan Turbo AWD (stablemates 2019 Corvette Stingray + 2010 LaCrosse CXS)
150 Posts
what are some of you carrying in your trunk for a flat ?
I have runflats on my ATS and am not ready to ditch them, my tires will soon be replaced and will get runflats again. I don't like the idea of being stranded in minus 20 degree celcius in the night somewhere...

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury
145 Posts
I have runflats on my ATS and am not ready to ditch them, my tires will soon be replaced and will get runflats again. I don't like the idea of being stranded in minus 20 degree celcius in the night somewhere...
Just replaced RF with bridgestone potenza and the ride is so much better and smoother glad i did

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury
145 Posts
You set your target PSI and you hit the switch and it shuts off when it gets just past the target (since some air will escape when you unscrew the nozzle). It's also nice that it remembers the last set PSI, so if you always fill to 35 PSI on all tires (for example), you'll never have to change that adjustment. In that under trunk compartment it's juuuuuuuuust a little too think and pops the cover up just the tiniest bit. It also has a nice carry pouch. My old travel compressor was so loud it almost felt like I needed hearing protection. It's also pretty fast. From 32 to 35 PSI it's maybe 10 seconds. My old one was probably like a minute.
me i got a HYPER TOUGH pistol grip inflator with a slime tire tackle kit

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
964 Posts
I depend on the ZP Runflats. I also keep my OnStar.

Around here the roads really suck, I have had half a dozen road hazard flats in 40 years, and will not want to change tires on the road again. Too many distracted drivers who don't see cars or people on the side of the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts