Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had every option on my '11 coupe ($51k sticker). I discovered last night that there was no Rain Sense for my wipers. Does anyone know if it cannot be on the coupe for some weird reason?:hmm:

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté
198 Posts
Same; no rainsense from the '10 models on to this years. BIG mistake, Cadillac!

·
Registered
2011 CTS AWD 3.6
69 Posts
There is a recent discussion in this forum about rainsense no longer being available. It seemed most of those that had the option didn't find it that useful, although there were also a few strong fans.

I choose to believe those that said it was a better in concept than actual use. Why? b/c I have an '11 without rainsense, of course.

·
Registered
08 CTS
359 Posts
I have rainsense on two cars now, and had it on my 08 CTS. I consider it a major plus that it does not have it any more. I absolutely hate it with a passion. The problem is that it never wipes with the frequency I want it to, and there is no way on most cars that have it to run an intermittent mode that the driver has full control over. And did I mention that I hate it with a passion! Vehicles that have it should have a way to disable it and revert to a manual intermittent mode.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
I do have this feature on my 08 and like it. It works very well. Yes, that true I have to adjust it from time to time but is is not a big deal. I got used to it so much that every time I rent a car I found myself thinking why the wipers are not working?

In my opinion GM is going in the wrong direction with the CTS. It supposed to be premium car segment. So features like rain sense should be standard.

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '08 CTS had it and I loved it. It worked correctly 95% of the time. Bummer:ill:

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,764 Posts
Wasn't there a huge discussion on this and how it was a supplier issue? I seem to recall something similar going down....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Wasn't there a huge discussion on this and how it was a supplier issue? I seem to recall something similar going down....
I do not recall, but is seems that GM has well too many "supplier issues"......most likely self-inflicted ;)

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
I have rainsense on two cars now, and had it on my 08 CTS. I consider it a major plus that it does not have it any more. I absolutely hate it with a passion. The problem is that it never wipes with the frequency I want it to, and there is no way on most cars that have it to run an intermittent mode that the driver has full control over. And did I mention that I hate it with a passion! Vehicles that have it should have a way to disable it and revert to a manual intermittent mode.
I've found that Rainsense is generally good/okay during the warmer months of the year, but when winter arrives there are shortcomings. The system's 'moisture' sensor (the sensing 'screen' part of it sized about 1 1/2 inch square and located near the top center of the windscreen) can be fooled by varying consistencies of snow as well as freezing rain. Also, in winter particularly, the status of the windscreen where the sensor is located is oftentimes unindicative of the entire windscreen, especially the sides and bottom of the screen.
BTW, there IS a way to disable Rainsense and revert the system to manual intermittent mode. To accomplish this.. you (or your friendly dealer service dept) only need to disconnect the plug that attaches to the moisture sensor assy located above/behind the rear view mirror. The wiper system then goes right into back-up mode, which is manual intermittent control.

Rather than Rainsense, GM should be developing a driver-selectable system (enabled via the D-I-C) that would allow the wipers to be "parked" 3-4 inches further up on the windshield during colder months to allow the wiper blades to obtain some warmth from the windscreen in that area (via the HVAC's defroster). Anyone having to drive during significant snowfalls or certain freezing rain conditions can appreciate what I'm talking about. When the blades begin to freeze up, outward visibility declines in a hurry. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
RAB
you have a point. I live in the South so snow is not an issue.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I LOVE rainsense ... It's one of the reasons I am keeping my 09 for quite a while ... along with brake vents, headlight washers, painted mufflers, under hood appearance package, and the list goes on and on ...

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
The rainsense wipers in my car work very well. Yes, I do have to adjust the intermittent aspect at times, but overall it makes for much less fiddling than I ever had to do in my other cars that were strictly intermittent based. I did have an 08 pontiac G6 GXP that I just got rid of that had the speed sensitive wipers and they also worked pretty well.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
281 Posts
I also find the Rainsense wipers work really well in my '08. I adjust the intermittent wipers in my wife's car far more than I ever adjust the Rainsense wipers. I think GM made a mistake getting rid of them.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4
18 Posts
I had rain sense on my Passat. It worked reasonably well, ut was easily confused in snow.
It also really increased the cost of a new windshield. Can't say I really miss it in my CTS yet.

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,695 Posts
I just got a 2008 AWD for my wife, and she complained that the wipers were out of control the first rain she encountered with it. I'm not going to pass judgement though, until i drive it in a rain.

However, that said, I've never been a fan of the wipers going fast or even at a short interval. I keep the windshields treated with rainguard (what's that stuff in the yellow bottle called???) and usually just flick the mist button every 10 seconds or so, unless it's a steady rain.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
4 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my 2008 CTS. I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE Rainsense! Thanks to one of the forum members, I will disconnect the sensor and be done with it!

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
...I keep the windshields treated with rainguard (what's that stuff in the yellow bottle called???) and usually just flick the mist button every 10 seconds or so, unless it's a steady rain.

It's original Rain-X.

FWIW, I prefer Rain-X All Season 2-in-1 De-icer & Bug Remover Windshield Washer Fluid (<$3 WalMart); just pour into reservoir, and it works great year-round with or without aftermarket AlphaTherm heated windshield washer system.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts