Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace my radiator due to a transmission nipple breaking off. So it started over heating. But then I overlooked everything and uninstalled and reinstalled it making sure something wasnt stuck. I ran a water hose thru both ends to make sure nothing was clogged, the top hose clamp was loose and spewing radiator fluid. But i tightened it up. Now the system wont pressurize. Ive tried every method i knew or was told when bleeding the system. It just wont pressurize. Let me make myself clear. The system did hold pressure just days before. and of course it was spewing radiator fluid with force at the top radiator hose. It was holding pressure when it over heated the first time.Its getting heat through the vents. but not much because the system isnt pressurized. Now the system will not pressurize at all. can anyone help.Thanks

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >144k miles
1,127 Posts
I'm not sure I completely understand what is going on, but it appears that the coolant is not filling the radiator and/or system fully. Is the coolant level correct in the reservoir?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the reservoir is completely full. after I installed a new radiator and the cooling system isnt pressurizing at all. even after Ive checked for leaks, blockages , thermostat and water pump.

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
9,030 Posts
I'm with RyanY - I'm not following what you're trying to say or what your question is. How do you know the cooling system isn't pressurizing? There is no coolant pressure gauge, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Is the engine overheating? How exactly did you fill the cooling system?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your system won't build pressure until it-self bleeds all the air that is in the lines, For that to happen you need to fill up the reservoir/ overflow tank, then start the car, I put both temp controls to 90 and let the car warm up to operating temp, they say to rev it up to between 2000 - 3500 RPMs every 45 seconds - 1 minute, it's rather hard to do alone, its a lot easier to have someone inside the car revving it and watching the temp gauge, while someone else keeps an eye on the res to make sure the level doesn't drop completely (although I'm not sure even if it did if it would suck up air since there would still be coolant in the lines) Once it starts sucking down coolant shut off the engine and top off the coolant and re-peat. The first time I did this I was able to open the res tank immediately However I might add that there was a hole in the cooling system so it was likely never pressurized in the first place, which was probably the reason I could open the res. Perhaps you have the same issue, but the coolant hasn't gotten there yet so it's not leaking? Regardless you can tell if there is pressure when you attempt to take off the cap (i usually press down with some force just in case there is pressure I will be able to feel it pushing the cap against my hand) If it is under pressure is don't open it unless you want to turn your car into a volcano (ask me how I know), wait for it to cool down, top it off and repeat the steps for bleeding until it stops taking any more coolant, or until in my case, it starts furiously spraying out of a hole in the rad :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.