Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #1
I normally drive conservatively , but the other night I step on it, and it was petty unimpressive. Thinking maybe it was because I had everything on, light heater, radio. Next day test every way I could think of still gutless. On the way to Cadillac today I step on it at about 50 mph in hold mode and there was a noticeable hesitation. The mechanic confirmed it was definitely gutless. Have to take it in and leave it for full evaluation.There has been no message. The only thing that has been done is new 12V battery and the system recall. car has 49K on it
Any idea as to what I am getting into?

2016 ELR
2016 ELR
Wow that sucks. Weird that no malfunction messages are prompted on the display. I did ask the service manager in my perceived "no heat" issue if codes can be thrown and nothing displayed to the driver and she said "yes". So it's possible that they may have a code and place to look for you. Sure seems like a lack of available current issue which would be obviously the battery or connection to it (the MSD). Or maybe it's a software corruption, entirely possible. I'd bet a doughnut they'll do a reflash of your software first. 馃

Keep us posted sir!

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that sucks. Weird that no malfunction messages are prompted on the display. I did ask the service manager in my perceived "no heat" issue if codes can be thrown and nothing displayed to the driver and she said "yes". So it's possible that they may have a code and place to look for you. Sure seems like a lack of available current issue which would be obviously the battery or connection to it (the MSD). Or maybe it's a software corruption, entirely possible. I'd bet a doughnut they'll do a reflash of your software first. 馃

Keep us posted sir!
Thanks I hope it is that easy. The battery is only a couple of weeks old I did check it and it has a charge of 12.6V.
My appointment is for November 14th will let you know what they find.
Thanks
Steve

2016 ELR
2016 ELR
As far as I know, the 12v battery is just running systems and has nothing to do with propulsion in which you need your mega T-battery for. Your 12 volt battery would last a very brief time under propulsion forces! So I would suspect the battery itself, electronics onboard the battery (which there is a lot of), or software craziness. Too bad you can't get in any sooner. I always ask to get on the list for any cancellations. Half the time when I really press any service about getting in sooner and let me know of anyone not showing up, I get in sooner. Happened just today with a doctor, shaved 2 weeks off the time they wanted me to come in. 馃拤

Good luck sir

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #5
I was in no hurry. Cataract surgery Monday. Could have got in earlier. Needed to work around wife schedule for a ride home.

Registered
... I step on it at about 50 mph in hold mode and there was a noticeable hesitation. ...
Any idea as to what I am getting into?
lately I am experiencing the same phenomenon. while traveling for a while a consistent speed, hitting the accelerator results in a very noticeable lag. almost like it losing power for a moment, then delay for a second or so, then full power acceleration kicks in. very unnerving when not expected.

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #7
They replaced the forward range radar module. Because of code.

This is what they said" Acceleration Customer was complaining about acceleration off the line but the recall that was done to the vehicle previously was for battery longevity so it took away that off the line power."

It still hesitates when you step on it at higher speed's . Anyone else have this problem after recall. The mechanic that worked on it was not the same one that test drove it with me.

Registered
They replaced the forward range radar module. Because of code.

This is what they said" Acceleration Customer was complaining about acceleration off the line but the recall that was done to the vehicle previously was for battery longevity so it took away that off the line power."

It still hesitates when you step on it at higher speed's . Anyone else have this problem after recall. The mechanic that worked on it was not the same one that test drove it with me.
Yes. Same here. After the propuslion campaign afaict the hesitation thing happens often. super irritating especially if o Ned to merge and then no power unexpectedly followed by full power.

I guess I could get used to it, but i would at least like a GM explanation.

When you say code, do you mean the radar need new software code to control it, or it was not up to safety/code?

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Same here. After the propuslion campaign afaict the hesitation thing happens often. super irritating especially if o Ned to merge and then no power unexpectedly followed by full power.

I guess I could get used to it, but i would at least like a GM explanation.

When you say code, do you mean the radar need new software code to control it, or it was not up to safety/code?
they replace the module not a software code. Only found because they used a scanner to see if they could find lack of power problem. I did not know I had a problem.
I think the hesitation problem could be a safety problem. The lack of full power coming from a full stop I could handle, but would not have done the recall if I would have know.

2016 ELR
2016 ELR
That is some weird problems. After reading about your hesitation issues, I went out today and punched it a few times and I experienced NO hesitation issues. I recently had a reflash (for auto-high beam issues) and then a few weeks later I also had the update for the early warning loss of propulsion deal. The car acts the same and I have no hesitation issues. If the dealer said it's because of the latest update, that's total BS if you ask me. I'd go back to them and say it's BS and you know other ELR owners that aren't having the hesitation and maybe insist on a (hopefully) warranty reflash of everything.

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #11
I am taking the car back to the dealer Wednesday. If possible anyone with a 2014 that had the recall done could they try stepping on it and see if they get the hesitation. It takes a foot to the floor to notice the problem. Thank you all

Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
I am taking the car back to the dealer Wednesday. If possible anyone with a 2014 that had the recall done could they try stepping on it and see if they get the hesitation. It takes a foot to the floor to notice the problem. Thank you all
Had mine done Friday and I can't tell any difference

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #13
I give up. After testing the car today about 10 time I could not get it to hesitate, my be a computer learning thing. Still not impressed with the power, but I did not buy it to be a hot-rodder. I did cancel my appointment.

Thanks for all your input.

2016 ELR
2016 ELR
I give up. After testing the car today about 10 time I could not get it to hesitate, my be a computer learning thing. Still not impressed with the power, but I did not buy it to be a hot-rodder. I did cancel my appointment.

Thanks for all your input.
So since I have a 16' I can't remember the answer to this question - does your car (the 14' ) have a sport mode? It does make a difference in acceleration in mine and then the engine will kick in. That being said, it's kinda like you have to select sport mode and if the engine hasn't been on, then it takes time for the car to get the engine ready to rock, If the engine has been on recently, then when you goose it in sport mode it seems to give you engine power quickly. At least that's what it seems like to me. Everyone knows that the 16's have the tweaked software for more shazaam but I can't remember if the 14's have a Sport mode. Or if the 16's give you more current tweaks AND the engine while the 14's give you only one of those, or none of the above and just modify suspension.

If you do have a sport mode have you tried that for additional go-go juice? I swear the car must have a learning curve too based on sport driving. I'm probably wrong but last night I only had 3 miles of charge left and was almost home so I stuck it in Sport mode and stomped on it and seemed the fastest it's ever been, kinda took me by surprise. I only use Sport mode maybe once a month and for a very short time, and of course I'm going to goose it if I do :)

Once again, there is no hesitation effect in my car, except perhaps in Sport mode when the engine is cold and one stomps on it trying to get the additional engine power. Maybe your car is in a new learning curve post-update and possible reflash? Can't see how that could be in an electric car but I dunno

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the 14 does have a sport mode.The way I have been checking it, is to see if the gas engine comes on. As near as I can tell it does not. I am judging this because it does not use any gas and the gauge indicates battery power not total power.

On another subject of cancelling the appointment yesterday. On the way home from our 60 mile trip the engine light came on so we stop at the dealer. He gave us a loaner car. Here is what they found.

"49668 programming update ECM and CCM. scanned for codes code set in ECM for calibration between chassis control module and ECM reprogrammed chassis control module and cleared codes rd test all good wcc 13YN31277462"

Not sure what that all ment. I am perty old school, but trying to catch up

2016 ELR
2016 ELR
Yes the 14 does have a sport mode.The way I have been checking it, is to see if the gas engine comes on. As near as I can tell it does not. I am judging this because it does not use any gas and the gauge indicates battery power not total power.

On another subject of cancelling the appointment yesterday. On the way home from our 60 mile trip the engine light came on so we stop at the dealer. He gave us a loaner car. Here is what they found.

"49668 programming update ECM and CCM. scanned for codes code set in ECM for calibration between chassis control module and ECM reprogrammed chassis control module and cleared codes rd test all good wcc 13YN31277462"

Not sure what that all ment. I am perty old school, but trying to catch up
So you didn't say if Sport mode gives you more power, or helps to alleviate hesitation.... Curious to know, seems like if it didn't, that it could be a current draw problem somewhere (as in connection), as opposed to a software/firmware problem, but maybe both.

Checked this morning and yes, only the 2016 gets the ability to combine the engine with the battery in parallel power output mode.

Crazy that all these new cars these days are more often fixed by reflashing data to the module in question. Transmission problems? Reflash the tranny. Weird alerts? Reflash, update... I guess I'd rather do that then buy parts... :oops:

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #17
I do not notice any difference in sport mode except the suspension tightens up. The best way to describe this issue is that the first quarter of the peddle responds the last 3/4 does not seem to make much difference as far as take off. Since I have owned the car until this power issued I had never given it full throttle sport. In hold mode throttle seems to make more of a difference. I was going to do a time run between two points, but I just had cataract surgery and could not see the second hand. May try latter.

Thanks again for you help

Registered
That is some weird problems. After reading about your hesitation issues, I went out today and punched it a few times and I experienced NO hesitation issues. I recently had a reflash (for auto-high beam issues) and then a few weeks later I also had the update for the early warning loss of propulsion deal. The car acts the same and I have no hesitation issues. If the dealer said it's because of the latest update, that's total BS if you ask me. I'd go back to them and say it's BS and you know other ELR owners that aren't having the hesitation and maybe insist on a (hopefully) warranty reflash of everything.

I've been waiting weeks to get another appointment without success.

The hesitation thing seems to happen at least once a day for me. Of course I took it to another service center and they couldn't reproduce it.

Is there any way to check to see if the flash/csp was done correctly?

Registered
2014 ELR
Discussion Starter #19
Got a call from service adviser today and wants me to bring the car back in Tuesday.

2016 ELR
2016 ELR
I've been waiting weeks to get another appointment without success.

The hesitation thing seems to happen at least once a day for me. Of course I took it to another service center and they couldn't reproduce it.

Is there any way to check to see if the flash/csp was done correctly?
I would think that the tech doing the update would be notified by his tech tools if there was a problem downloading and/or the module receiving the code if it didn't accept it. I have to do software/firmware upgrades to lots of digital stuff and the tool or the receiving device always tells you if it went okay. But the ELR isn't a piece of sound equipment so who knows. Seems here that the problem is 2014 related by reading the discussion here but that might be by chance.

An update and a reflash are 2 different things in my book. An update was done to our cars for advance notice of battery loss of propulsion issue. So that's just an update. To have a full reflash of all the electronic code is way more info, and depending on car, system, computer, etc, that can be WAY more time to do. It took 2 hours to totally reflash my Jag XK, to exorcise just the infotainment system and the demons from within that caused temp display problems. If your ELR needed a full reflash to fix something I'm sure it's going to cost something unless you can convince them you think your problem is deeply embedded in the existing firmware and/or changed/affected by the update and you have any CPO warranty left.... My XK reflash cost me $165 and that was probably middle of the road. To pay out of your pocket is a gamble.... I'd probably do it myself as a last resort (pay the money). Fortunately my dealer is super cool and I think they listen to me and under warranty would do something like that if I complained...

Good luck sirs 馃崁

1 - 20 of 33 Posts