Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night I pulled up to a club and valeted my 03 ext ... the guy that alwaysw takes care of me took my truck .. well at the end of the night I came out and noticed my truck parked on a weird angle in the lot normally it wouldnt be parked like that ... well I went to get my keys and they had someone else come with them ... they didnt have them in the valet hut ... I got in started her up put her in drive gave her gas and then BAM!! there was no power steering and I obviously couldnt turn the wheel and there barely was any braking available .. you literally have to crush the pedal to the get the truck to stop !... they told me they have no clue what happened ... I told them maybe someone was turning the wheel too much to ther right and left and caused the steering pump to go ? anyways iI heard a constant sqeeking from a belt my friend gave the truckgas and the belt stop squeeking but the power steering was still dead... and the breaks still useless... I got a report filled out by the valet company just in case my warranty doesnt cover this mechanical breakdown but they were telling me they dont cover mechanical breakdowns... what does this sound like to you guys?
? Power steering pump .. belt ... vacuum leak for brakes ?? just dont understand .. also my friend was telling me cause of my 24's mounted on the truck it coould have affected the steering ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone out there have any advice on this ?? I am going to have the truck towed early this morning to the dealership so would appreciate any advice before I take her in ...

·
Registered
06 Escalade
282 Posts
its the hydraboost unit. Mine is acting up as well. when you hit the brakes hard (as in a panic stop) you loose all power steering. My dealer says they can't duplicate it. I managed to duplicate it on video. I'll post it up on youtube, maybe you are having a similar problem.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Interesting... When I first read your post, I then realized the power brakes are not vacuum operated on this thing! How exactly does the hydroboost work? Hope its not another failure prone control module... I can do without ABS or stability system, but not without power brakes!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I just got the truck back from the dealer .. thank god the service manager is a very nice man he took care of everything .. long story short the power steering pump broke and it is a hydroboost system that a gm tech was telling me there ... so when the power steering goes out you lose your brakes also ! I cant believe they work together like that ! anyways they replaced the pump and now everything is back to normal.. but this is something really dangerous if you ask me ! what if i was on the highway doing 80 90or more and this problem happened !!?? you still have a little steering capability left but only if you muscle the wheel and if you give the car some gas which you wouldnt want to do if you were trying to slow the vehicle down !

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Thanxs for the update! My power steering pump has been quite noizy lately, one more reason to replace it before it fails! I can't picture the gf steering the truck on muscles alone and without power brakes! I gotta look this up in the service manual, I agree its could be a dangerous situation. Good thing it happened in a parking lot!

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
Thanxs for the update! My power steering pump has been quite noizy lately, one more reason to replace it before it fails! I can't picture the gf steering the truck on muscles alone and without power brakes! I gotta look this up in the service manual, I agree its could be a dangerous situation. Good thing it happened in a parking lot!
The "muscle" that is required is only required moving under 5mph ..... once your over 20mph, you really have no need for power steering. I dont understand how its tied into the power brakes though, that part is what dumbfounds me...

·
Registered
Cadillac
22 Posts
The power steering pump provides high pressure assist to the brakes, just like a vacuum assist does on other vehicles. You have th benefit of higher pressure with a hydroboost system.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Hydraulic assisted brakes?? Well you learn somethin everyday on this forum! This will most likely mean big $$$ power steering pump, altho it doesn't look any different from any regular GM units. Another thing to look into.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I realize your posts are all quite some time ago but I just had this happen this afternoon.
I was parallel parking and the steering went out...so I pulled ahead and soon realized power brakes were gone too.
Upon looking at things the belts are ok but I did notice a vacuum line from the steering pump to the master cylinder on the brake system.
So I'm assuming it's my power steering pump....
Anyone know roughly what money we are looking at for that and can I do it myself ?
This forum was very helpful guys...thank you so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts