Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
03 escalade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i am having an issue with the passenger side door, mainly with the lock. I can lock and unlock all the doors with the passenger door switch, except for the passenger door lock. I cant control the window either. I can control the window from the driver side switch so I know the window works but i cant unlock it even with the driver side switch. I also cant move the mirror around. Powered seat works just fine. Any ideas? a few years back there was no power whatsoever to the passenger door and i took it to the dealer and they changed a part that was only sold and programmed through the dealer but i dont think thats the issue here because i can control the window with the driver side switches. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 ESV
645 Posts
Can you control the passenger window from the passenger window switch? Do the seat heaters work?

Based on what you describe, you probably have a few wires that are either broken or have exposed insulation in the door wiring harness. It is a bend point, and it's a fairly common issue. I'd pull back the rubber sleeve that protects the wire harness and check to see if the wires look ok. Give each wire a little tug (you aren't pulling a 4x4 out of a ditch with a winch, so just a enough to get a few lbs of tension on the wire) and see what you can find.

If all the wires in the door and the harness leading into the body of the car appear to be fine, it could be both the mirror is dead and the door latch is kaput. They could have happened at different times, because how often do you adjust your mirrors?

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,123 Posts
I have a switch on the drivers door on my 04 that locks out the passenger controls so a kid cannot mess with it.

·
Registered
03 escalade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you control the passenger window from the passenger window switch? Do the seat heaters work?

Based on what you describe, you probably have a few wires that are either broken or have exposed insulation in the door wiring harness. It is a bend point, and it's a fairly common issue. I'd pull back the rubber sleeve that protects the wire harness and check to see if the wires look ok. Give each wire a little tug (you aren't pulling a 4x4 out of a ditch with a winch, so just a enough to get a few lbs of tension on the wire) and see what you can find.

If all the wires in the door and the harness leading into the body of the car appear to be fine, it could be both the mirror is dead and the door latch is kaput. They could have happened at different times, because how often do you adjust your mirrors?
I can’t control the window with the passenger switch only with the driver side switch. I can unlock and lock all doors with the passenger switch just not the passenger door itself. My seat heaters never worked since I got it but the seat does have power I can move it back and forth. Where is the harness located? Under the glove box?

·
Registered
2004 ESV
645 Posts
Power seat controls are on a different circuit from the door, so nothing to worry about here. I just know on my 04, the seat heat controls are on the door panel.

When you open the door, you will see a rubber flex-hose looking tube in the door jamb where the hinges attach to the body. This is the harness running to the electronics in the door. The rubber hose can be pulled back from the door and the body to allow you to do a visual inspection of the wires. You can take off the passenger kick panel, located in the passenger foot well, against the outside wall of the vehicle (you'll need to remove the sill plate first, which says "Cadillac" when you open the door). The kick panel pulls straight back towards the rear of the vehicle. You may need to adjust which panel you remove depending on where you see the rubber flex hose entering the body of the vehicle.

If you don't see anything in the harness between the body and the door, or anything that looks off in the body itself, you'll need to remove the door panel to get a look at the wiring harness in the door itself. Going off memory, there are 2 screws on the bottom of the door, a 7mm bolt behind the door pull, a screw with a vinyl circle over it, and at least 1-2 push pins. From there, the panel lifts right off. You'll need to pull the door plastic down from the top. Try to leave the bottom of the plastic attached, so you don't run into the risk of water leaks inside down the road.

·
Registered
03 escalade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Power seat controls are on a different circuit from the door, so nothing to worry about here. I just know on my 04, the seat heat controls are on the door panel.

When you open the door, you will see a rubber flex-hose looking tube in the door jamb where the hinges attach to the body. This is the harness running to the electronics in the door. The rubber hose can be pulled back from the door and the body to allow you to do a visual inspection of the wires. You can take off the passenger kick panel, located in the passenger foot well, against the outside wall of the vehicle (you'll need to remove the sill plate first, which says "Cadillac" when you open the door). The kick panel pulls straight back towards the rear of the vehicle. You may need to adjust which panel you remove depending on where you see the rubber flex hose entering the body of the vehicle.

If you don't see anything in the harness between the body and the door, or anything that looks off in the body itself, you'll need to remove the door panel to get a look at the wiring harness in the door itself. Going off memory, there are 2 screws on the bottom of the door, a 7mm bolt behind the door pull, a screw with a vinyl circle over it, and at least 1-2 push pins. From there, the panel lifts right off. You'll need to pull the door plastic down from the top. Try to leave the bottom of the plastic attached, so you don't run into the risk of water leaks inside down the road.
Thank you so much I will try this in the morning. One other thing to note, I can’t get my heater to blow out of any of the vents other than the windshield defogger no matter what setting I choose, not sure is this can be related.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
645 Posts
Welcome to the GMT800 platform, where there are no shortage of things that need attention!

Your HVAC issues are unrelated to your passenger door issue. The blend door actuator is to blame for this. You could try to pull the battery negative cable for a half hour, and plug it back in, and see if this fixes the issue. Otherwise, it's going to be the blend door actuator on the passenger side, near the center console. At least I think that's the one. I can't remember if there are 2 or 3 in these vehicles.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
79 Posts
The common thing to both problems is the switch power in the door control module.
I think that is the thing the window andclock switches are on.
The module might be bad, or a wire could be broken inside. See below.
Screenshot_20200303-234003_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200303-233908_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
03 escalade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today it was finally nice enough to give this a shot. I took everything apart and cleaned it and connected it all back. It worked fine for a few hours and then it started doing it again. No power locks work on passenger door. Window goes up and down but only from driver control. Power mirror does not work :( electric components are my weakness when it comes to working on cars unfortunately. I would normally just start by replacing the control cluster on the passenger door but i can lock and unlock all other doors with it which leads me to believe it is good. Door lock actuator? but then why no power to windows? I am super lost on this and would appreciate guidance. Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts