Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having trouble with my 90 sedan deville. i have to start my 4.5 5 or 6 times to run. also no power under 35 mph.codes: a.i.r. injection reaction system fail.getting 11 mpg any thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
If you could give us some more details on whats going on......

Do you have black smoke coming from the tailpipe???

Kinda sounds like a misfiring cylinder.......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no black smoke, no power. i got 7 injectors changed and it ran great. :( i was laying rubber w/out e-brake, now i punch it and it laughs at me

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Well if its injectors again then it should throw a code....

Please do an OBD......

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Well if its injectors again then it should throw a code....

Please do an OBD...... Tell us what codes come up (this makes life so much easier!!!!!)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The AIR system is...GRRRRRR...on my car(90 coupe). Check the oneway valves and hoses/tubes, make sure the tubes arnt blocked and conected right. Also that the oneway valves only go one way(blow into the ends). Check that the pump is working, squize the hose coming from the pump with the engine on, it should have a pulse, have someone rev the engine up a little, the pulse should incress too. If all that is working, i cant help ya cause thats all i know. On my car, the tube going to the front exaust manifold broke off and left half the threads in the manifold(and i cant get it out! :banghead: ) and my car gets 11mpg and runs like crap too. But it starts right up.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
I'm Thinking Plugged Cat. Converter. If The Previous Failed Injectors Flooded The Converter, That Would Super Heat It And Damage The Grid Inside. I Would Disconnect The Converter And See If Power Returns. Also A Good Muffler Shop Could Confirm Or Not. Air Injection Code Might Set If No Air Is Blowing Thru It. Just A Guess? Hope This Helps, Bill.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
That didnt occur to me...... Yes, if the car ran really rich for an extended period (like a few months), the cat is probably shot....... I bet its all melted and gooey inside.....

Id remove the cat and see what happens......

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
We had a car that had problems with an airflow sensor. It went bad twice and both times I remember it being a bit harder to start and it ran like crap. It ran so bad that you'd think there was something wrong with the engine. Something else to consider.

If the air injection is the air pump stuff, I seem to remember that it doesn't actually pump air into the engine or exahust all the time. I don't know what would happen if something went wrong with it and it did.

Probably the best thing you can do is get a shop to check it to see what they think it is. And if you find out tell us so that we know :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
He's right..... Its almost nearly impossible to diagnose this over the internet.....

The "air pump" you are talking about is probably the IAC, or idle air control....... It controls the amount of air coming in at idle (funny how that works... :D ) to maintain a good idle speed.....

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I just checked, and the air pump stuff I'm thinking about is the Air Injection Reaction System.

The IAC, that's in the air filter housing or the throttle body right? I think I know what you're talking about :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
IAC should be just upstream of the TB butterfly.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts