Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
My 07 Base Escalade has them. Interesting though, key must be in the run position to work.

·
Registered
07 ESV
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 07 Base Escalade has them. Interesting though, key must be in the run position to work.
Actually I was behind a black pickup and I could clearly see the front end of my truck, I wanted him out of the way as he was doing 65 on a 75mph zone, I pulled the lever towards me to flash him and got nothing. I got to my destination and parked in front of a glass double door to check it again and noticed that they dont work unless I turn on the headlights and push the lever forward to get the high beams to work. I guess I'll be taking a trip to the dealer so they can handle this issue.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There have been a few topics on this.

The flash to pass feature has been eliminated even though the manual may indicate that the feature is still present.

The reason is that with the HID lamps they won't strike the lights on for a "flash" because it will ruin them.
If you do a search you'll see this for several newer models.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
Ok, but mine do work as stated above...it is a very early build 07.

EWILL, since my vehicle is leased, are any other issues I might care about besides premature HID failure? I REALLY like the flash to pass feature and don't want to give it up!

Also, my 06 SRX had HIDs and also has flash to pass.... I am assuming those were changed as well for the 07 SRX.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The 06' SRX uses a high beam bulb and a low beam bulb, two different bulbs that is why the flash to pass works on that, I have an 06' SRX too , the 07' Escalade's use one bulb for both high and low beam, and that is why no flash to pass. I have one of the first 07's built and it does not flash to pass, you think it's working but nothing lights up, if yours does flash to pass there is something wrong, and if you use it often is will cause the ballasts and bulbs to burnout fast. :)

·
Registered
07 ESV
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys. For a minute I thought there was a problem ( I guess not ), the passing flash does work only when the headlights are ON.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I have one of the first 07's built and it does not flash to pass, you think it's working but nothing lights up, if yours does flash to pass there is something wrong, and if you use it often is will cause the ballasts and bulbs to burnout fast. :)
Here is what my 2007 (7/06 build) does (I just had my secretary stand in front of the truck to confirm):

Lights off, flass to pass does nothing. :mad:

Lights on, flass to pass works.

So, I was wrong about it working with the lights off. :thepan: But, since I don't need to push the lever forward with the lights on (I can "flash to pass"), the original poster and I are slightly different. Sounds like according to the experts (EWILL/HCVONE), mine is the one with a problem.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
TSS, with your lights on it's not flash to pass, you are putting your high beams on manually, flash to pass is pulling the stawk with the lights off and the high beams lighting up as long as you pull the stawk. :) Your truck is normal, they all do that. :)

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Thanks man. No more posting for me today - I am just adding confusion to the threads!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The ones that use halogen lamps used FTP with the lights off.
As stated, this would quickly kill an HID lamp system, to strike the arc tubes for a split second and shut them off.
The high beams are actually the HID lamps with a door that moves up mechanically inside the lamp to expose more light.
You can hear them flip up and down.
Some vehicles with a separate halogen high beam still use the FTP feature but HID only systems don't.
The owner's manuals have not been corrected yet.

Pull or push the stalk the doors flip up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts