Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille d'Elegance (ex Japan LHD)
36 Posts
Hey guys, gauge was showing no oil pressure giving warnings and such. Then shut off and restarted a couple of times, now it went away and seems fine. What could cause this? Oil is full. Any help is appreciated.
Another thing to check is make sure your oil pickup in the sump has a good seal (isn't sucking air). LS engines require their oil pickup seals be checked as that's their weak spot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, gauge was showing no oil pressure giving warnings and such. Then shut off and restarted a couple of times, now it went away and seems fine. What could cause this? Oil is full. Any help is appreciated.
It's possible, that the pickup valve (flap) on the pump is sticking. I had a similar issue with a deVille 4.9 some years back. You can try a flush additive when you do the next oil change. This worked for me. Car was getting old and it was just gunked up.

·
Registered
2006 EXT Supercharged, 2003 base, 2011 Platinum
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just update the status of this issue as it may help others in the future. Problem is solved. Was a big job. Replaced oil pump and pickup tube o-ring seal. Mine is AWD so I really didn’t want to drop the oil pan. Had success in changing everything from the front only, without removing the pan. Was tedious but i did it and it fixed my problem! Purchased the oil pump from Amazon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How in the heck were you able to replace without dropping oil pan?
With great difficulty dealing with the pickup tube bolt, but it’s possible, and much better than pulling the front differential out, crossmember, steering components etc.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,499 Posts
With great difficulty dealing with the pickup tube bolt, but it’s possible, and much better than pulling the front differential out, crossmember, steering components etc.
Well actually. The long method only requires the oil pan to be removed, front cross-member to be removed,and the front differential case lowered just enough to clear the oil pan aside from the front cover and crank damper. About an one hour work(maybe less) with the proper tools.

The oil pick-up bolt method with the oil pan still on the engine is a pain in the ass also, and has the added risk of damaging the oil pickup o-ring(or stripping the bolt) if the oil pickup is not perfectly seated when trying to install it in that limited space; which can cause a oil pressure issue later if the o-ring fails.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well actually. The long method only requires the oil pan to be removed, front cross-member to be removed,and the front differential case lowered just enough to clear the oil pan aside from the front cover and crank damper. About an one hour work(maybe less) with the proper tools.

The oil pick-up bolt method with the oil pan still on the engine is a pain in the ass also, and has the added risk of damaging the oil pickup o-ring(or stripping the bolt) if the oil pickup is not perfectly seated when trying to install it in that limited space; which can cause a oil pressure issue later if the o-ring fails.
Agreed, if you have ideal conditions with a hoist and stuff. My method worked best for me and was a big time saver. It was difficult to get the pickup tube removed and seated properly but it works great. If you lube the o-ring and pat attention, I see very little risk of damaging anything or having it installed wrong. The key is to remove the front cover and gears from the new pump to install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The engines in our 2002-2006 Escalades do not have the oil filter screen on the oil pressure sensor. The sensor is hard to reach but not impossible. It took me about an half an hour to change mine on my 2006 Escalade.

Here is how to change the oil pressure sensor in our Escalades from 2002-2006.
paris shuttle airport transfers
Hello, I would like your opinions on my type of engine if possible, thank you

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,499 Posts
Agreed, if you have ideal conditions with a hoist and stuff. My method worked best for me and was a big time saver. It was difficult to get the pickup tube removed and seated properly but it works great. If you lube the o-ring and pat attention, I see very little risk of damaging anything or having it installed wrong. The key is to remove the front cover and gears from the new pump to install.
I only used jack stands and a jack to lift my Escalade in my garage when I changed my oil pan gasket, front cover gasket, timing chain assembly, oil pump, and oil pickup tube with gasket all at once. The parts were cheap so I just changed out all the worn 200k miles parts since I had to remove the oil pan to change a leaky oil pan gasket which was the hardest part of the job. Therefore, I did not need any special tools or hoist aside from a 250ft/lb torque wrench and torque angle tool for the crank bolt to do the job correctly. This OHV engine is easy to repair compared to other modern DOHC V8 engines in its age range.

However, there is always more than one way to do a job.:) You got it done so that is all that matters.

Note: I forgot that I did use a LS front cover alignment tool I purchased from Ebay. Not sure if it was necessary, but it helped.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts