Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
Why would you ever let it get low enough to know if it has one or if it works. I've never seen mine. Remember, the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel. I consider 1/4 tank empty.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My gas guage does not work
so i drive and once i hit about 300 miles i fill up but i got less MPG that i had thout the last tank becouse it was all city driving stop and go
so i thout there would be a low fuel light once i hit like the bottom 3 gallons atleast

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,516 Posts
The fuel level sensor (gas gauge sensor) triggers the low fuel chime and DIC indicator and message at about 3 gallons remaining.

If your gas gauge doesn't work, neither do the warning indicators.

The chime and message are also explained on two pages of the Owner's Manual.

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
so i drive and once i hit about 300 miles i fill up but i got less MPG that i had thout the last tank becouse it was all city driving stop and go
so i thout there would be a low fuel light once i hit like the bottom 3 gallons atleast
Ahh, that's a different story. Fix it. There is an access panel in the trunk so there is no need to drop the tank.

·
Registered
1969 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Cadillac Seville STS
64 Posts
As i've explained in other threads as well the DiC has a Fuel used section which is extremely accurate (the most mines been off is 0.5 gallons). You can use that in lieu of a gauge until you get it fixed. Pull out your owners manual and see how large of a tank you've got. My 97 is a 20 gallon tank.

Void4ever

·
Registered
1969 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Cadillac Seville STS
64 Posts
awesome sub :)

I still recommend you get it fixed but i hate to see people driving around guessing when they MIGHT run out of gas. No need with these beasts :)

Void4ever

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The ‘96-’97 Seville and all ’96 – ’02 Eldorado have a setting in the IPC menu to suppress certain messages including the LOW FUEL LEVEL warning (& chime) (IPS03 option C value = 1). I know the menus after ‘98 in Seville are not the same but I think these settings are still available.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
300 miles on a tank is living on the edge for me. Pull up FUEL USED on the DIC and reset at every tank along with reseting the trip meter. Watching the trip meter should be your cue to check FUEL USED.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh, that's a different story. Fix it. There is an access panel in the trunk so there is no need to drop the tank.
could you tell me where the access do in the trunk is
do i have to remove the carpeting also
what is the part that is bad on it
so wich part do i have to replace
Thank you

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
300 miles on a tank is living on the edge for me. Pull up FUEL USED on the DIC and reset at every tank along with reseting the trip meter. Watching the trip meter should be your cue to check FUEL USED.
I just drove the Highway from Cleveland ohio to Pittsburge PA
yesterday roudn trip and i used like just under 11 gallons of gas round trip
and thats about 136 miles each way
so i drove like 270 miles on 11 gallons and i was getting like 26 mpg i filled up when i got off the highway back home so i know 300 is no problem on a full tank but this last time i forgot to reset the trip odometer that is why i ran out the other day

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
could you tell me where the access do in the trunk is
do i have to remove the carpeting also
what is the part that is bad on it
so wich part do i have to replace
Thank you
Yes, it's under the carpet. Once removed you'll see it towards the rear of the trunk I believe. You need to replace the sending unit (it has a float attached).

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, it's under the carpet. Once removed you'll see it towards the rear of the trunk I believe. You need to replace the sending unit (it has a float attached).
ok cool thanks ill check it out next week when i get some spare time do you know is that a exspensive part its not like a fuel pump or anyting like tath

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
I'm not sure. Check Rockauto for a price and a picture. I think it is about the same price as the pump.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
There are lots of posts here on this topic. I replaced the level sensor a few weeks ago in my 2000 STS. I ordered the part from eBay - the guy says they are genuine AC Delco parts. However, one of the connectors was wrong on the new part, so I had to solder using the connector off the old part. It worked. My fuel level is correct and it cost me $30 and about an hour of time (and a sore back later). I followed the procedure outlined in the Haynes manual and it was thorough and dead accurate (this is rare). I hope it lasts (eBay = buyer beware). Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
I remember reading that sulfur accumulating on the fuel level sensor was the cause of the failures and that a couple of tanks of gas treated with Techron MIGHT clean the sulfur off the sensor and get the gauge working again. I have never had the problem, but it may be worth a try. Worse case is you clean the fuel system and the gauge still doesn't work.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember reading that sulfur accumulating on the fuel level sensor was the cause of the failures and that a couple of tanks of gas treated with Techron MIGHT clean the sulfur off the sensor and get the gauge working again. I have never had the problem, but it may be worth a try. Worse case is you clean the fuel system and the gauge still doesn't work.
where do you get Techron from do i just pure it into the gas tank
would seafoam work ?

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Pup - Check out the tech tips forum - there is an active thread dedicated exclusively to the Techron product.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Techron can be found at just about any autoparts store. Seafoam will work but Techron is the only product recommended by GM. And yes its a fuel additive so you just pour it in the fuel tank with the proper amount of fuel in your tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts