Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just picked up the Eldorado yesterday and found out I have no low beams. High beams function OK, and all other electrics (touch wood) appear to be working. It's not one headlight but both.

Anywhere I should be looking?

Thanks for your help,
Darryl

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
The easiest and cxheapest first- replace the bulbs, if they were replaced at the same time its likely they'll go out at the same time.

While your replacing the buls check the socket for each one,look for any signs of melting or burning, unlikely, but its happened to me before.

Then check the fuse

Then check the wiring

And finally, check the headlight switch, could have gone bad and decided it didn't want to turn on the low beams.

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Are the bulbs multi-element? The highs work just fine and are the same bulb, right? Checked the fuses, both good. Is there a relay somewhere? I have yet to find where the relays are on the car.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Im not positive but I am pretty sure there are seperate bulbs for the low and high beams. Even if the lows and highs use the same bulb the low beam element could've broken. New bulbs are pretty cheap, you might as well replace them, I've had bulbs before that looked fine (element wasn't broken) but turned out to be bad. Not exactly sure where the relays are on an eldo, but my deville had some of the fuses behind the back seat. Oh and remember don't touch the bulb with your fingers, use a tissue, otherwise it'll blow.

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
hey just turn on the lights and go to the front of your car and just hit the lights with your fist....if they turn on and work like majic then you need new bulbs....only takes a sec to check it out.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
WHatever you do don't get the silverstar headlights. They're expensive and they look good, but then blow in a month. Happened to me and about 5 other people I know, huge ripoff.

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went with the GE....nice and bright. BTW, the ones that were in there were Silverstar, lol!

Thank you for your help/advice guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts