Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently without a horn in my 98 SLS. I have replaced the fuse several times and as soon as I press the horn, the fuse blows again.

I ran the codes and the only one there is RSS C1783

Any thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
Unplug the horn and install a new fuse. Press the horn button several times then check the fuse, if the fuse is ok then the horn is your problem. If the fuse still blows it's the wiring from the horn to the fuse box or from the fuse box to the steering wheel. Pull the fuse and check the wires both ways with a ohm meter. Check wiring to ground and to each other.It may also be the switch inside the steering wheel. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
It is not that uncommon for the point contacts inside the horn to stick together and create a dead short. I'm betting that you'll end up replacing a horn.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Those switches in the steering col are about $10, methinks. The end of the switch is plastic, and the heat gets to it.

If it is the switch, you can drill a hole in the lower dash and install a switch directly to the horn, via a diff fuse. I recently did that on a LeSabre because my mechanic screwed up around the relay under the hood. I bought nice little chrome button (1/4 inch by 5/8 inch) at an electronic shop. I had to visit 3 or 4 shops before I found what I wanted. I did not want to install one of those huge pep boys horn buttons. Too ugly.

Switch I found cost about $8 or less. Grainger had similar switch, but they wanted $30.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pardon my ignorance and laziness, but dies anyone know where the horns are on a 98 SLS? I imagine in the fenderwall, but before I start taking the wheel off, I was hoping to figure out whether they're on the driver's side or passenger side.

Any idea?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts