Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 CTS and I live in Ohio, so its cold here. When I let my car warm up in the mornings, its gets nice and warm in there (I normally let it run for about 15-20 minutes) but when i get about 2-3 miles down the road it starts to blow cold to warm air. When i then get to my destination and let it sit for a few minutes it begins to get warm again. I just had a Thermostat put on and had the radiator and heater core flushed like a month ago. So why would this car not blow hot air when i drive? I do keep both driver and passenger control settings on 90 degrees when i am driving and turn the A/C to off when i first start the car. Any help would be a benifit to me. Mind you i am not a mechanic so please use understanding terms with me, since i may not know what you might be refering to. Thanks in advanced to whom can help me with this issue.. Also, would it be wise to put cardboard behind the grill to cut back on the cold air coming in on the motor? Someone at work told me to do that and wasn't sure if that would help the situation..........

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
It sounds like the new thermostat is stuck opened or one wasn't physical put in.

I wish you had a engine temperature gauge in your CTS. Unless the dash cluster was upgraded to have it instead of the clock.

Placing a cardboard in front of the radiator would be an OK Temporarily fix. But don't not allow the engine to run for more than 5 minutes while not moving.

Be mindful and don't cover the entire radiator, maybe about half of it.

Of course get it repaired asap. Once repaired, remove the cardboard.

KOT

·
Registered
2003 CTS
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do I need to replace the stat?

----------

Ya the clock in the dash is dumb. Why do I need 2 clocks? Dumb on GM side for that.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm taking it back in to the dealer Tuesday morning. I hope they can fix it right this time. Thanks for all the info you all shared with me. I appreciate all of it.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. So the issue was a cracked coolant bypass valve line not allowing car to reach operating temp. They repaired the line and now the car blows out hot air while driving and at idle. Those Cadillac techs know their stuff. thanks to all that had input and I value what you all said.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
The vacuum lines to the bypass valve are common for dry rot. I've seen a handful of them like that. Just disturbing them can cause a break in the line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts