Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no heat till my temp gauge reads normal.should'nt it start blowing out atleast a quarter of the way .when the engine is at normal temp the heater is hot.like my chevy truck it starts blowing out heat before it gets to a quarter of the way on my gauge?anybody know what the problem might be?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would vote, but im not sure if i should go with

heating prob

or

heating prob

Decisions, decisions!!!

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
It's not a problem. The reason it doesn't blow anything out is because the system is automatic. It senses that the heater core temp is not up to the temperature set in you climate control so the blower does not come on until it has warm air to blow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it is warm out your cabin temp may be at what your climate is set at. Mine doesnt run until it is a quarter the way warm.

·
Registered
298 Posts
How long have you had the car? Is this a recent development? I'm wondering if the correct diverter Tee is installed, and if so, installed correctly.
FWIW
YMMV

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you have selected heat, Caddies are all computer controlled. It'll wait until engine is warm before turning on the blower. That is normal. But I don't think that it waits until full operating temp (around 200 deg.) I think it turns on sooner (like around 150 or so). I think the specifics are described in the Factory Service Manual.

But if you chose defroster, it will turn on even when the engine is cool.
Peteski

·
Registered
687 Posts
Same with manually controlling the air. Say front and lower vents at 2 bars on the speed control.. Then it will come out even if it's cold.

MacK

·
Super Moderator
86,074 Posts
The heater will not go on til the engine temp reaches 90 -100 degrees, then is should come on low and speed up as engine temp increases some. You never said what year this car is, but that hasn't changed in years. I don't know if there is a sensor in the heater core or not. I don't think so. Maybe your thermostat is sticking closed and not allowing hot coolant to the temperature sensor til it gets to normal operating temp then opens all at once.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your help .found the prob low on fluid about a half gallon .the guy that changed my water pump didnt fill it all the way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My problem is just the opposite, I never gave it much thought till now, just grumbled about it.As soon as I start my car the heater starts blowing cold air.
Always thought with all these sensors and controls on the car that it should know better than to blow cold air.Hmmm maybe I have another quirk to look at.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Ranger said:
The heater will not go on til the engine temp reaches 90 -100 degrees, then is should come on low and speed up as engine temp increases some. You never said what year this car is, but that hasn't changed in years. I don't know if there is a sensor in the heater core or not. I don't think so. Maybe your thermostat is sticking closed and not allowing hot coolant to the temperature sensor til it gets to normal operating temp then opens all at once.
With an automatic system there must be a sensor or thermostat in the system for it to operate properly. I don't know where that sensor is located but suspect it to be in or around the duct/discharge. There may be multiple sensors, the schematic in the service manual would tell for sure if anyone was interested to look.

caddypete said:
My problem is just the opposite, I never gave it much thought till now, just grumbled about it.As soon as I start my car the heater starts blowing cold air.
Always thought with all these sensors and controls on the car that it should know better than to blow cold air.Hmmm maybe I have another quirk to look at.
No offence here Pete but is your climate control set to either Auto or Econ? If you have changed the blower control manually the blower will run at that setting regardless. If the system is working properly and is set to Auto or Economy the blower should come on only when needed to supply the warm or cool air and it should be progressive as Ranger described.

If it isn't working as described above you may have a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Kev