Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 Fleetwood Brougham. I was just driving home from work normally like I do every day except it was real cold and possibly my antifreeze was frozen. Heres the problem, I notice the coolant light go from dim to right on indicating there was a high temp somewhere. After the light I noticed a huge load of smoke coming out of from under the hood and had to pull off and stop. Now it is barely daylight out and I can't see to good. I wait for the smoke to clear and then start looking around. Everything seems normal, except one thing. There was coolant pool under the rad. I thought instantly I'm *&($%^ and not going to be able to go home. I wait another few minutes until the car is cool then restart. No SMOKE! It starts running fine. I waited a few additional minutes to make sure it didn't overheat again. All is well, then I go and turn on the heat. It stays on for less than 30 seconds then bang cold as ice air starts pooring in. It's -7 degrees celsius out and my heater isn't producing heat.......I finally made it back and popped the hood, it was a little bit brighter out so I was able to aquire the following photos. I noticed a hose which I thought was just a breather hose with a bit of coolant in the end of it and looked like it blew off. Also the coolant resevoir was empty. First Thanks for reading this whole damn novel and 2nd thanks to any advice that anyone has for me. Could this hose effect my heat? Is it possible the antifreeze froze in the lines and it just overheated until it melted? Why didn't the heat come back on. Well I hope you can help and thanks, heres the pics of the hose.

That hose in my hand is the one I found hanging with coolant splattered all over. Thanks again,

-butter

:banghead::banghead::banghead::mad2::mad2::mad2:

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Now you know why some guys ride around with large women.
That hose is a vent and normally hangs down. At the very least you should: Pressure test the cooling system and look carefully for leaks (after filling it with water). Replace the engine coolant thermostat. Any time an old system is drained or overheated the thermostat can no longer be considered reliable. Replace the stuff in the cooling system with a mixture of water and antifreeze. Read the label on the antifreeze container for the mix info.
A cheap way to pressure test the system is to fill it and run the engine at fast idle for 10 minutes. Be very careful working around engines suspected of overheating. Don't EVER open the radiator cap (after running the engine) without first squeezing the upper radiator hose to be sure there is no pressure. Treat it with respect.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I can attest to this one. When I was 16-17 years old I squeezed the hose and it felt firm, so I opened the cap and bled off pressure, and then opened it, and got a face full of hot antifreeze. I was ok, but it sucked, bad.

If the coolant is at non boiling at 15 psi pressure and you drop pressure by removing cap, it may go to the boiling point suddenly and explode on you like it did me. I thought pressure was down, but it wasn't.

The Ape Man said:
...Don't EVER open the radiator cap (after running the engine) without first squeezing the upper radiator hose to be sure there is no pressure. Treat it with respect.
if the rad is frozen, the coolant won't flow and it will overheat the engine. Often the heater core if first to freeze too, and often the hardest to thaw. My 80 Turbo T/A with a 455 in it did that to me one year, I forgot to add antifreeze and we got a -10F blast in Colorado. Doh!

·
Registered
88 deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya my resevoir is empty right now I lost all the coolant, strange that the car returned to normal after a few short minutes of sitting. It deffinetely sounds like it was frozen, because i just started my car, let it idle for about 10 and took off. By the time it actually started heating up the coolant in the line was probably frozen. The thermostat has to be gone for sure because no heat. Well I got to drive it to get coolant hope it doesn't over heat. Thanks

-butter

·
Registered
88 deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahahah your not going to believe this I check when i wake up the coolant levels. There is none, and whatever was in there was probably frozen :banghead:. Refilled, turned on and bang good to go.

Thanks,

and until my next F&$^ up peace.

-butter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts