Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My Deville from 87 is not giving me any heat at all. Here are the details. Durring the summer time I had to replace the waterpump (so they tell me) after that my radiator fan was not working so thae car was overheating, what I did is I connected the fan (radiator fan) to my low beam, and everytime I was driving I was puting my light on, so the fan was working everything was good. Now the winter came and I notice that my enagine is cold always, I mean it gives me NO heat at all! If you have any ideeas let me know!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I bet the thermostat is stuck open..... Simple fix.....

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Hello Native,

I moved your thread to the pushrod section since your Cadillac doesn't have a Northstar, and you might get more response from fellow pushrod members. Wes may be on to something with the stuck thermostat. Check it out and keep us informed.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Hmm. With a well done job like that where do you begin. I agree with Wes, check the thermostat. I would also look for air pockets trapped in the cooling system, as they can cause very unstable temperatures like you describe. Check the heater hoses, and make sure they acutually go to the heater core.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Thats also a good idea also....

When you chance the thermostat, it is a GRAND idea to FULLY flush the cooling system with distilled water!!!! It makes the process go MUCH faster..... I flushed and filled my cooling system about 10 times (7 times, and 3 extra for good measure because I was using cooling system cleaners)..... Took me about 3 hours total, thermostat only about 15 mins.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys, your reponse was very promt, thank you! I will check the thermostat and I will let you know! NATIVE

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,735 Posts
I Would Think That Even With A Thermostat Stuck Open, The Heater Would Get Luke Warm. Verify The Heater Blend Door Is Opening. Remove The Glove Box Liner And Locate The Rod On Top Of The Air Plenum. It Has A Threaded End That Snaps Into The White Plastic Arm Which Is Connected To The Blend Door. Changing The Temp Display From 60 To 90 Degrees, You Should See The Rod Move From Max Closed To Max Open. This Is With The Engine Running. In The Max Heat Position, Pop The Threaded Rod Up From The Plastic Arm And While Holding The Rod Try Moving The Arm Further To Heat Position. Then Reinstall The Rod. I've Seen The Rod Be Binding On Wiring Harnesses And Not Traveling To The Heat Position. Also Both Heater Hoses Should Be Approx The Same Temperature. If Not, Maybe A Plugged Heater Core. That Can Be Back Flushed With A Garden Hose. Hope This Helps, Bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts