Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,572 Posts
mom in car priming key on then 5 seconds turns off count sback to 5 turns on counts 5 turns off did this about 10 times each time i heard the sound from the filler neck with gas cap off
so this means pump and fues is good right ?
That only means that the pump is running, but does not tell you what kind of pressure it is putting out. You have to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to tell if it is putting out enough pressure to start and run the engine. Until you do that you are just pissing into the wind.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That only means that the pump is running, but does not tell you what kind of pressure it is putting out. You have to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to tell if it is putting out enough pressure to start and run the engine. Until you do that you are just pissing into the wind.
where do i get a fuel pressure gauge i mean i know i can go buy one at any auto store probably but does auto zone do those types of tools as loaners ?

also do i hook it up to the Fuel Rail line under the engine cover or where would i hook it to and what do i need to do does it manually test it or do i have to crank and try to start it to test it how would i hook this up ?
and can i get one from auto zone as loaner or do i have to purchase one

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,572 Posts
AZ probably loans them out. It connects to the service port on the fuel rail. Remoce the cap and screw on the gauge. Turn the key on to energize the pump and pressurize the fuel system. Read the gauge, It should be about 45 psi.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ok cool thanks same cap that i took off for when i checked to see if i had fuel to the rail and when i found out there was just air ok got it
going to head to auto zone tomorrow and check that out
see if they have a loaner or maybe if its not to much just buy it

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
just went to auto zone they had a fuel presure tester for loaner but i had to buy it then i get to return it so got home after putting out 150 for the kit had ahole bunch of things in it only wanted to test the presure
hooked it up to the fuel rail turn key nothing presure is at 0 so i go and check the fueses again they are fine
what is the big fues in the back rear seat fuse box the one that looks like a ice cube its silver but big bulky i notice that one of those has to do with the fuel pump is it possible that could be the problem i pulkled it and the conectors look fine no burns or anything

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
ThumperPup, just follow the electrical diagram I posted. Worry not about any other electrical component other than what is in the schematic.
Apply power to the fuel pump directly (I told you how).
Check the voltage to the pump.
Have you removed the access panel to listen to the pump if is running?
If the pump is running it means ONLY that your electrics are fine, it doesn't means is also pumping. That's when you disconnect fuel lines and run the pump shortly to see if it pumps. I don't even understand why you bothered with the fuel pump pressure gauger. You mentioned there is no gas to the fuel line. If there is none then the pressure is ZERO.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I tried that out because Ranger Suggested it so i figured id try it it out
I did lay in the trunk after pulling the carpet liner away and didn't hear it running i could have sworn i heard it running when i put my air to it like sub said to threw the filler neck
and then nothing today
i give up on this i had AAA tow it to the shop tonight mechanic will find it in the morning and call me
i try to do what i can but just some things in the winter cold weather i just can't do
I am kind of hoping that maybe it is the fuel pump cause i knew i wanted to get the level sensor replaced but now if it is the fuel pump i kill 2 birds with one stone and save a bit also
if not then its something electrical and that might be a easy fix might not
who knows
ill know tomorrow or Tuesday for sure

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
2 to 1 your pump is shot.

If that is it then ill be happy
cause i was planning on doing the other part of that just not the whole fuel pump

but ill be happy if its anything els then ill be not so happy
lol

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
That's what I was thinking too Ranger.
There is no link between fuel pump and fuel sender unit except that both are clamped together, but generally when the fuel gauger is going south you kind of expect thed fuel pump to follow in the near future.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The Fuel Gauge has been bad for the past 22 months that i have owned the car are you talking about the Fuel Level Sensor ?

well will know tomorrow or Tuesday

Plan is to have mechanic diagnose the problem for sure
if its the fuel pump ill order from Rock Auto
then call the Insurance Company up tell them they can pick the car up at my Mechanic take it to do the little body work that will take about 2 or 3 days i bet
ill get a rental car from the Insurance company
hopefully in that 2 or 3 days the Fuel Pump will come
and then have AAA tow back to Mechanic from Body Shop put new fuel pump in return Rental car and be on the road again

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
well the good news is it is the fuel pump i know who ever says a new fuel pump is good news
well considering i was about to spend more to just have the fuel level sensor replaced and if the fuel pump went bad i would be paying for labor and parts again
so right after the Mechanic called me
and told me what it was he said i don't want to know how much he would charge for a pump at his cost
he said go online buy a new one and have it shipped right to the shop so i went on rock auto got the private label Airtex witch is the same Delphi that came in the car new paid 90.26 after shipping this is with the 5% discount
I know some will say that paying more then a 100 for labor is over paying
hes charging me 140 after taxes and all fees
he is also giving me a full 12 month warranty on the labor for that price so if it goes bad he takes it out i send it in get it replaced come back to him and he puts the replacement in so i figure not bad not bad at all
so 230 all together for a new fuel pump works out good

and im never ever going to let it get below 1/4 tank now and now the fuel level sensor will work also so ill have a fuel gauge so thats awesome also

now my question is does a fuel pump affect the MPG or fuel usage like if your pump is bad can that cause you to get bad mpg if it is still working or does all it do pump the fuel and has nothing to do with the MPG ?

thanks

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
ok cool was just curiouse didn't know if it might have been over working its self and or depending on how it would run and all
just a simple question thanks

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Also make sure from now one you have at least 1/3 gas into the tank. That's 90% the reason the pump is gone as the fuel around the pump is used to cool it. Be happy you have the '98+ body style, the '92-'97 Seville and all Eldorado (up to '02) have no access panel so the job involves dropping the tank. About $1000 is the final bill in this situation. I would still not pay more than $100 for your situation as is unbelievably easy job.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i called 2 of the dealerships here near me just to see what they would charge they said it would be about 225 just for the labor plus taxes and i was like WTF
they tried saying its a 1.8 hour book job wich i can't belive

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
i called 2 of the dealerships here near me just to see what they would charge they said it would be about 225 just for the labor plus taxes and i was like WTF
they tried saying its a 1.8 hour book job wich i can't belive
Believe it - the book rate for replacing the fuel pump in our cars is 1.6 hours and a $522 list price module. Before you give advice, know your facts. If you personally have never done the job or even seen the module, don't confuse a new member with copycat posts or hearsay. These people come in here looking for guidance and diagnosis: treat them as such.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Believe it - the book rate for replacing the fuel pump in our cars is 1.6 hours and a $522 list price module. Before you give advice, know your facts. If you personally have never done the job or even seen the module, don't confuse a new member with copycat posts or hearsay. These people come in here looking for guidance and diagnosis: treat them as such.
well then in that case if the book hours at 1.6 and the dealership probably does these a few times a month so its no strange job to them they where going to rip me off regardless with 1.8 hours
i don't really mind going to a dealership sometimes but yeah there 119 dollar an hour labor rate near me is ridiculous but when they inflate the book time that really hits the knuckles

21 - 40 of 54 Posts