Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the car was unlocked and I opened the pass front door, leaned in and pulled the hood release. After checking the oil I closed the hood (did not touch anything) and now all pwr is off. Nothing, no lights, no clicks nothing. Did I trip the security system and if so how do I reset it? I am at work so this is based on my wifes description. Once I get home I will check battery etc.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
It has nothing to do with the security system. If it was activated, you would still have lights and dash illumination. Look closely at the battery cables for corrosion, looseness and leaking acid under the positive cable. How old is the battery? If you find an acid leak, replace the battery and make sure the bolt holding on the cable is not longer than the negative cable bolt. Bottom line, sounds battery related.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, seems odd to go from no problems to completely dead. I will check the battery at lunch. Battery is original so It is 4 years old. Maybe kids left lights on inside last night? Eitherway I will start at battery since it is not the security system.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
While replacing the battery is not premature given it being four years old, make sure the cable connections are good! Confirm thru diagnosis that its just the battery. Good rule of thumb is to verify the CCA that is required for your car and purchase a battery with a higher CCA rating. It will last longer.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery was showing 3.4 volts, the charger showed it dead, then showed full charge after 3 minutes. I think the battery is just worn out. Suprised it ran home the night before. The headlight sentry had been turned up to about 3-4 minutes that day and that did it in. Thanks for your help. Believe it or not I got the best deal at a chevy dealer $108 for group 79 6 year. The next best was $142 for same thing.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Thanks for the quick follow up! Now someone else can learn thru this forum because we had a problem, it was described intellegently and was resolved!

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery fixed it, Alternator working fine. Some things that now stand out as early warnings that I missed are. Seats & steering wheel telescope moving a little slower than normal for the last few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts