Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new Cadillac owner and have a question about my 02 Cadillac deville. I purchased for next to nothing and was told it had an electrical problem. I bought a new battery(79) series and battery cables as well. I connected everything and have power to the rear and front fuse boxes, however I have no interior lights, dash lights, power locks, window operation... nothing. I am stumped and need some assistance. I did notice however the lights on the doors do work but nothing else. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the exterior lights don't work.

----------

When the key is placed in the ignition nothing is happening. The car has no indication that the key is even there.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille Concours
5 Posts
Before you run off buying an ignition switch.... are the door lights on when you open the door? Do you have any lights at all? Like when you apply the breaks, do the tail lights come on? Check the ignition fuses. There should be a few labeled ignition-0 ignition-1 fuse block may be in the engine compartment

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only illumination on the doors are the buttons for locks, and windows and such. The actual lights for the door being ajar is not coming on. No tail lights when brakes are applied. I have no lights whatsoever.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If no headlights/brake etc I would start with checking maxi fuses in panels and the panel for power itself. The brake lights don't go through a computer and are hot all the time. could be a ground I suppose even but would think nothing would work then.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upon further assessment, I noticed that the fuse box under the rear seat is missing the 3 7mm screws. Are these screws just to hold the box in place, or are they necessary for a proper ground? Also where could I order them, or would it be better to replace the entire fuse box?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
Upon further assessment, I noticed that the fuse box under the rear seat is missing the 3 7mm screws. Are these screws just to hold the box in place, or are they necessary for a proper ground? Also where could I order them, or would it be better to replace the entire fuse box?
=============================
I noticed that the fuse box under the rear seat
is missing the 3 7mm screws.

that tells me SOMEONE was messing around back there -
and obviously had an electrical problem -
probably WHY you "purchased for next to nothing"

are they necessary for a proper ground?
the fuse box is for electrical POWER distribution -
and has nothing to do with grounds -

-------------------------

time to get down to the basics -
with a test light or DVOM -

check for power - and good ground
at the light bulb sockets -

if no power - go "up" the circuit to the switch -

if no power - go "up" the circuit to the fuse -

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. I was told the car had electrical problems when i bought it, but i read in another thread that his electrical problwem was solved by tightening the three screws holding the fuse box. i am getting power to the fuse boxes but nothing past there. i will check fuses and relays. thamk you for your replys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts