Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried starting the car, engine doesn't crank, just a click from the starter. battery volts read 12.7 on the DIC. anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Check the cables for a clean tight connection. If they are OK, the battery probably has a dead or shorted cell. Have it load tested or just replace it.

·
Registered
1996 STS
105 Posts
Do the accesories run when the key is on the "on" position? I had a similar problem, but when I tried starting the car it shut off completely, had to d/c the neg. batttery cable and r/c again to get the same problem. It turned out to be a faulty pos. and neg. battery connection, (also dirty). Check that first, then you could look at the fuses.

·
Registered
99 STS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i took the battery out, took it to auto zone to have it load tested, it passed so i reconnected the battery tired starting it for the hell of it, it clicked a few more times then started. starter on its way out? :confused:

edit: the accessorys do run with the key in the on position

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Could be the starter solenoid not engaging. If you're going to go in that deep you may want to replace the whole unit while you're there.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
I would think the clicking sound IS the solenoid engaging. Maybe the starter itself is bad and won't spin. Before going into the starter, I'd swap the battery with a known good one from another car just for the hell of it. How old is the battery anyway?

·
Registered
2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon
1,348 Posts
Sure Sounds like a dead spot on the starter. I had a car that use to happen too and I crawl under it and whack it with a large wrench and then the car would start. It would only happen when the starter would stop on that dead spot, kinda like russian roulette, lol.

·
Registered
99 STS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think the clicking sound IS the solenoid engaging. Maybe the starter itself is bad and won't spin. Before going into the starter, I'd swap the battery with a known good one from another car just for the hell of it. How old is the battery anyway?

the battery is a year old. i replaced it last year with another delco battery. ill try swappin the battery tomorrow with the one from my fathers deville and see what happens. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts