Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1996 AND 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C is not blowing cold air on my 2000 cadillac deville. I pulled all the codes and got nothing referring to refrigerant low or compressor off. On my 1996 deville I had the same problem but the only difference is my message center displayed the problem and the error showed in my codes. Should these codes be showing on my 2000 cadillac deville? Or is there something else that could be wrong? Also I recently just replaced my mode actuator door. I doubt their could be any connection to the cold air problem but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood
106 Posts
Turn on the engine and ac. If you don't have service equipment, feel if the suction line is cold. If the fan is blowing air into the cabin and the suction line is cold, it may be the door. If the line is not cold, note if the compressor clutch is engaged. If the clutch is engaged and the line is warm, there is a refrigerant or mechanical problem. If the clutch is disengaged you have a low refrigerant or control circuit problem (Or a bad clutch.) Troubleshoot with a voltmeter. Post what you find.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How will I be able to tell if my clutch is engaged or disengaged?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: No cold air???? update

Okay I just got back from a local auto shop. The mechanic told me that I had no refrigerant which caused my compressor to cut off. The mechanic also told me he would also have to reset the computer in order to get the compressor to react. All in all he told me Im looking at spending a little over two hundred dollars for an evac, 2 pounds of refrigerant, and computer reset on 00 deville. Also told me that there has to be a leak somewhere in the system since there's no refrigerant. I have 3 questions. Could I do this myself and Is it for certain it's a leak? Also why didn't the cadillac on board diagnostics notify or alert me when I pulled the codes?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
You can do it yourself. Normally you would pull a vacuum and thus need a vacuum pump, but if the system has not been opened I think you can get away without it.

He's right. If there is no refrigerant, there has to be a leak somewhere so that should be located and repaired, but then you would need to pull a vacuum.

You should have gotten a LOW REFRIGERANT message at some point and there should be a low refrigerant DTC stored. It would be a B code. All that is needed to "reset the computer" is to clear the codes via the DIC or pull battery power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disconnected my battery for about ten minutes hoping that when I hooked it back up I can get my compressor to kick on so that I could add some refrigerant. No luck. Does that mean that I may have a bad compressor or clutch and thats why Im not getting a error code. I would like to try to jump the a/c clutch. Do you know of any links that provide step by steps procedures on how to do so?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay after jumping the compressor I finally got cool air again. It was a hard weekend after replacing my mode actuator door and troubleshooting the a/c.I will respond back in two days to let you guys know how Im holding up. You guys are truly professionals on this website. I cant say it enough Thank you Thank you. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

·
Registered
2000 DeVille
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 00 Deville a/c. How can I jump the compressor to charge the system? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
You don't need to jump the compressor. Just enter the on board diagnostics and clear the codes. That will enable the compressor long enough to charge the system.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
a few facts missing. you jumped compressor but did not say if you added freon. i assume you did since mechanic said system was empty. so you added freon and compressor is cycling? you can hotwire some systems and make compressor run all the time but that is not a good thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dawn the way I jumped my compressor was there is a relay under your hood. If you take the black fuse box off and look inside you will see a diagram of your fuse and relays. Remove relay 32(a/c clu) look at the relay find 87 and 30. Get a paper clip and insert it into 87 and 30 slot you should hear a click. On my caddy the click sounded low. So you might have to pay close attention. But Ranger is right you shouldn't have to do it. The reason why I did mine because mine never threw a code and my compressor click was faint, so faint that I didn't realize it was kicking on. Hope I helped. Stoveguy yes its cycling and I added freon and its working fine now with the exception my passenger A/C is blowing colder than my driver side. Im still researching that problem now. I believe its because I didn't add enough i only added 18 oz when I hear you need 24 oz

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
my passenger A/C is blowing colder than my driver side.
That's a sign that it is low on refrigerant, but not low enough to disable the compressor or set a DTC.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Also note that not every car displays the low refrigerant code. For some reason my Seville doesn't display B1347 when the refrigerant is low enough to disable the compressor. It disables it but it doesn't display the code. My 99 did, but my 00 didn't.

In that case, you can do it by two method; 1) pull vacuum, and let the vacuum pull the refrigerant into the system. It will pull enough to enable the compressor. 2) Jump the low pressure switch, it will enable the compressor. Make sure you do it after you attach a can of refrigerant to be ready to be pulled.

I just recharged mine after the head gasket repair, it said the system requires 2.2lb, so I put 3 cans of 12oz r134a. I assume your Deville would have the similar system, it would be either 2 lb or 2.2 lb (my 99 was 2lb). In either case, 18oz won't do any job, it will bearly get cooler than normal. You need to charge the system up to spec to get the maximum and correct amount of A/C.

·
Registered
1999 deville
8 Posts
i also had the same problem, i tried bypassing with ac cycling switch and nothing happen,so i did as tutball
recommended to try and bypass with relay and nothing....so being that my car threw the info on the dash
i decided to disconnect the battery, just to clean up the message on the dash and i happen to hear that
ac compressor started cycling so that was my opportunity to add the r134...it's blowing nice and cold again..
thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
3 Posts
Ok same here ac or heater will not blow at all but I do get a low anitfreze code. I put anitfreze in it but it seems that the coolent just sits there and wont flow.

Thanks
ronnie

·
Registered
1999 deville
8 Posts
well guys the car was blowing cold air while it was sitting and idling so i decided to take it
for a run about 15 miles or so, with the air running and while driving it acts up again and
it displayed re frig-lo on the console ....the first time i put 1 can of 12oz, please help due i
have a leak?? as i need a new approach..thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
Well, if you added refrigerant and it was blowing cold and now it's low, it's obvious you have a leak.

·
Registered
1999 deville
8 Posts
well i guess the next the step would be to use a dye to see if i can the detect the leak
:(
any other ideas that you might suggest.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts