Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be easy for someone but I'm not getting it. I replaced a dead battery, could not hold a charge on the new one so I replaced the alternator. Tested both at the parts house so I know they work. I do not get a charge to the battery, so I have to charge it daily - I only have a short drive to work and it gets me there and back. I have also checked all fuses. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
It's a pretty simple system. Check to see that the battery light comes on when you turn the key on. If not, you're not getting the voltage reg turned on.
There's also a "Generator Disable" connector on the harness taped to the TPS break-out. If this is disconnected, it will not charge.
Beyond that, check to verify 12v at the "S" and "B" connectors of the alternator. They come direct from the battery, so they should ALWAYS be hot. The "L" terminal is the ground for the voltage regulator, and that's the one that goes to the IP to the light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Katshot said:
It's a pretty simple system. Check to see that the battery light comes on when you turn the key on. If not, you're not getting the voltage reg turned on.
There's also a "Generator Disable" connector on the harness taped to the TPS break-out. If this is disconnected, it will not charge.
Beyond that, check to verify 12v at the "S" and "B" connectors of the alternator. They come direct from the battery, so they should ALWAYS be hot. The "L" terminal is the ground for the voltage regulator, and that's the one that goes to the IP to the light.

Thanks for your help. I had a hard time getting back on line after a system crash, so I'm finally getting back to the Eldorado issue. I really do not know where to find TPS break-out, but when I turn the key to on, I do not see the battery light or indicator at all. I had a shop test the alternator and it test good, so your idea about the generator disable makes sense. What do I need to look for?

Denny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
dennyd