Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 V8 AWD SRX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuel Tank baffles busted

Ok. I know I have one bad ball joint but i dont think that would be responsible for both left and right turns. When making a 90 degree turn or more the 91 deville stumbles as though the wheels are not turing in unison. I have not had the vehicle balanced rotated or aligned (due to failing ball joint) in quite some time. Runs great otherwise except there in some chop when driving straight. Please help. I'm out of work (and money) so I can't really take it in to the shop.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,242 Posts
What is your fuel level when this happens? Early 90's Devilles have been known to have the fuel tank baffles break or rust out allowing the fuel to slosh to one side during turns with low (less than 1/4 tank) fuel levels causing the fuel pump to suck air. Hence, fuel starvation and engine stumble.

·
Registered
2005 V8 AWD SRX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aha. you the man ranger. i'm gonna go fill up and try driving it again. i noticed this a 2 gallons before and im at 3 right now. crossing my fingers post again soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea man..I have a 92 deville..and when I get to around 2 gallons left (or at least thats how much my car says I have left)..when I make a turn..it wont accelerate for a sec..but if I keep my foot on the pedal, it will go out of nowhere. It sucks cuz it can be kinda scary at times cuz you think you ran out of gas..and annoying at other times because ppl behind you get pissed off lol.

but yea..just dont drive the car too low on gas, and it wont do it to ya.

·
Registered
2005 V8 AWD SRX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All hail Ranger for he is all knowing. That fixed it alright. However, I have noticed that this problem is becoming progressively worse I think. It started stumbling when the gauge (which I've tested for accuracy) read that I had four gallons in the tank. Replacing the fuel tank should fix the problem if it a matter of busted baffles right?

·
Super Moderator
86,242 Posts
Yes, but it would be cheaper, not to mention easier, to just never let it get below 1/4.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do they make a replacement fuel tank that has this problem remedied? i would not mind putting in a tank whnever my fuel pump goes to aleviate this problem on mine, i gotta watch out, cause even with 4-5 gallons if im on one of those clover leaf on ramps, and im agressively getting on like going 35-45, and try to accelerate out, it starves. lol

·
Super Moderator
86,242 Posts
I would think a new tank would solve the problem. Even if it is the same tank with no changes to it. The original one lasted 15 years, I would expect the new one would last at least as long.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Crypt0nite said:
Yea man..I have a 92 deville..and when I get to around 2 gallons left (or at least thats how much my car says I have left)..when I make a turn..it wont accelerate for a sec..but if I keep my foot on the pedal, it will go out of nowhere. It sucks cuz it can be kinda scary at times cuz you think you ran out of gas..and annoying at other times because ppl behind you get pissed off lol.

but yea..just dont drive the car too low on gas, and it wont do it to ya.

thats wierd, i have a 92 Sedan, and it has never done that to me. I have run it to E and thats never happened. But the dealer did mention to watch out for that.

·
Registered
2005 V8 AWD SRX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same said car is starting to hesitate throughout range. Thinking it's the fuel pump. It's had a whine near the rear end for some time. Gonna check pressure tommorow. Any tips on replacement of pump? I don't really have a way to hoist the vehicle. I was going to set it up on jack-stands.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine went bad about a year ago. A new tank from Autozone fixed the problem. The old tank had plastic baffles, the new one had metal. The plastic became hard and brittle over the years. The new should last forever. The baffles sit around the pump and when they break up the pump starves for fuel on turns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts