Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this car last week wih 116,00.....drove it about 800 miles and the service engine soon light came on. Now, I have no first or overdrive. I checked the fuses and a 10 amp was blown for the trans....replaced the fuse and took off in first gear. Drove about a mile and the light was back on and first gear was not working? If anyone has any suggestions. I know it is not the selonoid......ohmed the wires........ran the codes......came up with a power steering switch. Please help!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It is most likely your solenoids. Even if it is getting power, there is no guarantee that the solenoid is working.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! My brother and his partner had previously thought that the solenoid was the problem, they have a machine shop and do engines and trannys, they say it is not the solenoid. I suggested that my exboss...who owns a garage and only builds Cadillacs.......had said the same thing. But then again, what do I know, I am a girl!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Melissa's92STS said:
Thanks for the reply! My brother and his partner had previously thought that the solenoid was the problem, they have a machine shop and do engines and trannys, they say it is not the solenoid. I suggested that my exboss...who owns a garage and only builds Cadillacs.......had said the same thing. But then again, what do I know, I am a girl!
It sounds like you know plenty or are smart enough to ask people who do. The fact that the fuse went out twice like that might seems to indicate a short. I'd get the car up on a lift and check the wiring running to the trans. It may have rubbed through somewhere and be shorting to the body.
FWIW
YMMV
DFB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ex-husband says that the car is in "limp" mode............catalytic converter was rattling bad when I purchased the car.....after the service engine light came on and the mpg dropped to 15.....had converter replaced.....did not fix problem. Have had computer cleared and the light will go off until I drive it....then light comes on and will not shift...no 1st gear or overdrive, only 2nd and 3rd. What can cause a car to go into limp mode? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would not think it could be throttle cable.......fuse blown......still have 2nd and 3rd. With the cable, usually you will have so many gears...but nothing after that, like 1st and 2nd, but no 3rd or overdrive. I have all gear, N, R, 2nd, and 3rd......except for 1st and over. But, thanks for the reply.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Does the fuse blow out only when your moving? Try starting it up and coasting very carefully not to hit anything. If it only comes on when you bump something then a wire could be lose or shorting. Simple test replace the fuse with a higher rating (i know this is usually bad but if you have a short it will blow out all the same). If it blows out you more than likely have a short somewhere in your wireing to your tranny (pehaps a wire melted due to your exhaust leak, the hot exhaust could of been blowing on a wire melting its rubber caseing and causeing the wire to ground itself out on the body of the car)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
If there are no obvious wiring problems, I would lean towards a bad shift solenoid. The replacement kit is only about $50. A trans shop shouldn't charge more than about $100 to replace them (2).

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
The symptom is usually solenoid caused. If your brother works on trans he should drop the pan and check the solenoids. They may be cracked or sticking. It's easy to do and is the first thing to check.

An ohm test won't prove a bad solenoid. It only tells you the coil is still there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, thank you for all the replies......My brother said it was the solenoids......but since he just had surgery, he is not in shape to be doing the tranny, his quick fix was to put a larger fuse in and told me to drive the car until the solenoid went completely out. He thought that the pan just had to be dropped to get to the solenoid...my friend that has a garage and works on cadillacs said that the cradle and tranny had to be dropped down. I have pulled engines and dropped trannys, but do not know anything about the inside of a tranny. When I get a chance I will drop the tranny and have someone fix it for me. Thanks again for all the info, I have learned from working in a garage in the past, that you do not do any quick fixes......just causes more problems in the end, to do it right the first time. I will not drive the car like it is. Good thing I have the mitsubishi......but bought the cadillac to drive for the winter, convertibles are not so great for cold weather.

Thank you,
Melissa

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
You do not drop the cradle or tranny to repair the solenoids. You change them from the bottom pan. There are threads with the instructions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts