Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

As stated in my other thread, I am a new member and I am looking to purchase a 2000 through 2002 Deville. One of the options that I am looking for the car to have is NightVision. I have never been in a Deville with NightVision or heard any comments about whether it is helpful or not. Let me rephrase that, the few comments that I have heard about NightVision came from critics who have high regard for Mercedes and BMW and low regard for Cadillac. In my book, those comments do not count. I have searched the forum for previous threads to find only comments about cracked NightVision lenses and the difficulty trying to find replacement lenses. Those threads have been helpful because I would hate to waste my energy searching and buying NightVision for the lense to break within a short period of time. Of course, this may not be a problem for everyone but it is something to consider.

There are plenty of deer and no street lights where I live. Last year, a deer ran into the side of my passenger door. There was not too much damage because I was not driving fast. I believe the NightVision system would be helpful in these driving conditions.

If you have NightVision in your Cadillac, please comment whether you believe it was worth the purchase.

·
Registered
'64 Cpe Deville, '94 Concour,2012 Prius C, 2010 RAM 1500 red
163 Posts
I am interested in night vision. Still looking.

cadillac dropped it because of low unit sales . Intial 7000 2001 , 600 in 2004 down to 145 in 2005. I read this info on the web. May be incorrrect.

The night vision plus Heads Up Display would be tops in high tech auto!

Hope you find one.

·
Registered
01 DTS, 05 Vette, 09 Ram 1500
116 Posts
I have nightvision on my dts. It's pretty cool. If you live in a deer infested area, I would recommend it. I also think it's cool driving down an interstate at night and being able to see the overpasses long before you get there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello C170B, I hope that is not true. Personally, I feel that NightVision is the best option added to a vehicle. I would choose NightVision over navigation any day. In fact, I am not sure why anyone with OnStar would purchase a navigation system.

I expected that the unit sales were low because of the price of this option. By the time you had a sunroof, adding NightVision is not really an option. Also, the target market for the DeVille is around 75-80 years old. At that age, struggling to see the small NightVision heads-up display at a high cost is not worth it. *No offense intended to those in this target market.* I am just about 32 years old and I know my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. Sorry about getting off track.

Anyway, I notice that some of the individuals/dealers do not advertise on the various websites that the DeVille for sale has NightVision. For example, I saw a DTS for sale and it did not have any extra amenities. By looking at the pictures, I saw the NightVision lens but the description never mentioned that it had NightVision. When called and asked why didn't they state that the vehicle had NightVision, the saleman asked, "What is that?"

So, NightVision is not an option on the 2006 DTS model?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Caddy01DTS for responding! I really want an 01 or 02 DTS! There is a black one for sale with NightVision and Navigation a couple of blocks from me but it is black with black interior. It is sharp but I really want my next car to be white. I think that if I purchase this black DTS, I will always look for a white DTS.

·
Registered
01 DTS, 05 Vette, 09 Ram 1500
116 Posts
Well, if I would've had a choice when I bought mine, I would have gone for black. Mine is the pearl. I think the black ones look more masculine, but I have to admit the pearls are sharp.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I had some time with an early production Deville in 2000, and it had the Night Vision option. At first, yeah, it's a neat toy but overall, I found it to be distracting. Lord knows, I certainly wouldn't want to have to figure out how to repair one! I think the reason for low sales was the price, and the fact that the option was hard to get intially, and got a bad rep by some dealers. Many stopped trying to sell them as I recall.

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
I have a 2000 DHS with night vision(NV). I am glad I have it but I wouldn't let it keep me from buying an otherwise nice vehicle that is lacking NV. NV has a tunnel vision effect and it is important to not stare at it as you will miss many other important cues such as vehicles approaching from the side or rear. Also, think of a tv camera attached to your bumper, it only looks where the car is pointing which means going up or down a significant slope youmay not see more than sky or the ground below. Also, if you have mud or snow (salt on the roads) in your area, you have to keep the lens clean, if it gets dirty it is useless. When clean it is like an old black and white television show with a little snow in the picture and a negative image. There is another positive, if you have a teen age daughter and you come home late, you can look at her car tires, if they are white hot) she came in after curfew, if they are dark (cool) then she has been home for awhile. You can definitely see large animals and people before the headlights even on bright hit them but be aware that if they are dressed for winter (meaning well insulated; this is a heat sensing system) they may be much less visible.

Hope this helps,

Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jimsbox! Your comments were enlightening and funny, too. I am expecting my first child on April 5th so I have several years before I use the tire trick. I like the idea though!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks JGBackes! I appreciate your comments. Since you have a 2001 with navigation, do you find that the navigation is too small for you to see it or do you use it without any problem? I am asking because the 2002 models received the larger navigation screen.

·
Registered
'64 Cpe Deville, '94 Concour,2012 Prius C, 2010 RAM 1500 red
163 Posts
DEar Dr WEJ

for what it is worth if you purchase NV the O E M mnufacturer is
a div of RATHEON and I think located in Richardson TX. They could be a backup source for the lens or in the best position to refer you to parts & repair station. This is definitely not dealer parts counter purchase. They can hardly keep up w the profusion of upgrade parts kits for the GM designs.

I wonder if you could park on a ridge, use the Night Vision and watch squirrels jump from tree to tree just before dawn. If it was hunting season you could slide the sunroof back , get up on your knees in front seat w a 20 GA winchester pump and ....... oh well , no it was just another big pipe dream.

Go for the night vision , get one... Cadillac will be back w NV in near future along w RWD N* and titanium valves.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you find an early Nightvision car, it may not have the lens protector. Pick one up at your local dealer and install it. It may save you a heartache if a rock hits the lens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks El Dobro! I didn't know that Cadillac offered a lens protector. There was a thread a while back discussing cracked lens and so forth.

Thanks C170B! I am familiar with Raytheon being the manufacturer. I will definitely look into their services.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...

Just a thought...
Would using NV for hunting be considered poaching?
Further, it is my experience that it only works when the headlights are on.

FWIW

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Yes, I think that would be considered poaching, unless of coarse you kill them with the car after you spot them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tonight, I had the chance to make it to the AutoShow. As always, the Cadillacs always look better at the AutoShow than in the dealership. I spoke to this Cadillac spokesperson from Detroit. Raytheon wasn't producing the NightVision camera as quick as the demand. According to the spokesperson, NightVision orders took approximately 6 months to fulfill.

I keep finding the NightVision cameras in Black or Blue DTS models. I really want a white DTS with NightVision but it has been difficult to find. The one that I found with NightVision and Navigation was 2001 version but in poor condition. I don't mind Black or Blue but the fingerprints from passengers drive me crazy!

My search continues...

·
Registered
03 DTS
303 Posts
I have a 03 pearl white DTS with Nav & Nightvision. Before I installed HID's in my DTS I did not have any problem with seeing the nightvision display. Now since I have installed HID's the nightvision display is a little harder to see, due to the fact that the HID's light the road so well. I would recommend that you upgrade your low beams to HID's. If they are aimed correctly they will not blind on coming traffic. In an urban area I think that the night vision system is not necessary, I never turn it on in the Dallas Metroplex. However, last year I took a vacation to Hot Springs Arkansas. My wife and I stayed in a condo in the mountains. Every night I used the nightvision and navigation. If I had to pick between the nightvision system and the nav, I would pick the Nav. While in the mountains day or night, I used the nav to find my way in and out. I also use the nav on a regular bases while in the city. The Nightvision is helpful and "cool" to have, but it would be cheaper and just flat out better to get HID's. So here is my verdict... Nightvision = Cool Gadget, Nav = Must Have, HID Upgrade = Must Have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DoctorWEJ:

The navigation display is plenty large for me, the bigger problem is lack of Map Updates... As I understand it there was only one additional update, to rev 3. If you want to get updated nav maps, get the DVD version of nav.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Nightvision has saved me a few times, deer standing in the middle of the road, and people walking across dark a dark street. I like it. There's just limited variety if you decide to upgrade your grille. Oh well I still bought the billet grille that E & G makes for it.

Dub

1 - 20 of 34 Posts