Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NISSAN DEVELOPS WORLD'S FIRST CLEAR PAINT
THAT REPAIRS SCRATCHES ON CAR SURFACES

TOKYO (Dec. 2, 2005)-- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has developed the world’s first clear paint that repairs scratches on painted car surfaces, including scratches from car-washing machines, off-road driving and fingernails.

“Scratch Guard Coat” contains a newly developed high elastic resin that helps prevent scratches from affecting the inner layers of a car’s painted surface. With “Scratch Guard Coat” a car’s scratched surface will return to its original state anywhere from one day to a week, depending on temperature and the depth of the scratch.

The water-repellant paint also has a higher resistance to scratches compared with conventional clear paints. A vehicle painted with “Scratch Guard Coat” will have only one-fifth the abrasions caused by a car-washing machine compared with a car covered with conventional clear paint. Scratches from car-washing machines account for the majority of scratches to painted car surfaces.

“Scratch Guard Coat” is effective for about three years.

“Scratch Guard Coat” will be applied for the first time on an SUV model that is scheduled for a partial makeover in the near future. The paint will be applied to the car’s chassis, bumpers, door mirrors, among other parts.​

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Mon Dieu! Qu'elle surprise! If they can make that work Turbo, it'll make a dent in your business, non? Although there'll still be plenty of the "old style" paintjobs that will need your share of attention,,,,,,,I swear that when I go to repaint my '97 SDV, I'm going to see if they can get my colour in acrylic enamel - I am THAT pissed with the bc/cc systems they now use - too little colour paint, too fragile clearcoats.

That acrylic enamel paint job on my Mustang was done in 1990 - 15 damn years ago and it STILL looks factory fresh. Granted, I've babied that car's paint for all those years, far more than the regular, run-of-the-mill goom-bahs that drive around in their econo boxes, looking for shopping carts to run into,,,but still,,,,,,,a 15 year old paint job that's stood the test of time. And sun. And acid rain. and bird shit. And still gleams like a many-faceted jewel.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You hit it on the head, they don't use enough paint and 3mils of clear is not enough, but it IS CHEAPER than applying say 3 coats of clear. sometimes I wonder if we really are moving forward....we will have to see what this new paint is all about, really is hot off the press. as far as denting my business??? Good thing I made my money already............:yup:

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Too true, Turbo - There will always be a good, solid market in the teaching profession - and on top of that, just think of all the cars out there that are driving around with those "fragile" micro-layers of clear that'll need constant attention in swirl removal, scratch repair, etc.

Yep, you made a great niche for yourself. I've often thought that when I retire in a coupla more years (for that magic 35 years service to Crown and Country) and have the safety net of a pension, that I'd look into doing similar work as you. Not the teaching aspect, but opening a small, exclusive interior/exterior detailing service, wherein the turnover would be tightly regulated; Hell, maybe only one or two cars a day - but offering a higher level of service/product than the miserable excuses we have up here that are in this business.

I swear that the garbage these "Detail" shops crank out would make someone like you cringe in anger and frustration. The ruined end product of their ministrations are so swirl intensive that you can sometimes see where they danced the DA from roof to sail panels to sides/fenders, up over the hoods and trunks, ending at the extreme far left-end of the car - sad, but true. And the real kicker of all this is that the suckers get the pleasure of shelling out $200+ bucks for their service.

When the sun hits those destroyed clearcoats, the prism effect reminds me of my acid-happy youth,,,,,,,

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frost, yes Iam fortunate. I do one car a day and focus on the "LOST" art of detailing. I have many professional clients that know my work and that is why I really don't advertise, all work is word of mouth. I do get many cars from hack detail shops that screw up the finish, but thats ok, people learn that the cheapest is not always best. If you are serious about doing this let me know, I'll be glad to help. Oh...I did Michael Jordans car not long ago, he didn't bring it over one of his body guards did. It was a Black Bentley. Best....Gary P.s. I think I have a pic somewhere, if I find it I will post it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts